08| insecurity

⌜◌⌟

⌜◌⌟

            A month or two progressed since this year's Winter Cup, and not much has changed since— well, expect Seijuro, of course.

The entire school did a double-take on Seijuro's unforeseen new character, and understandably so, I definitely had not seen it coming during the finale. However, it was not totally unwelcomed either. In the beginning, students were quite suspicious, absolutely unfamiliar with Seijuro being remarkably generous and smiling sincerely out of the blue. But, over time, the school atmosphere around the redhead quickly got better, and I could not be happier. Other students are finally accepting him and more willing than ever to approach him, particularly the females, much to my dismay. Unfortunately, the girls -and some boys- have been crowding the gymnasium religiously to gawk at him practicing basketball. And few went as far as applying to become a manager of the team. At other times, they would ask him to help them with several questions they supposedly don't understand.

Who knew the former Seijuro would be so charismatic and insanely popular? Not that he wasn't before, but now this is getting out of hand.

I sigh dejectedly, disregarding another group of giggling girls who greet excitedly, "Kon'nichiwa, Akashi-sama!" And Seijuro, the newly recognized prince of Rakuzan, politely nods with a smile, the constrained smile that only I can differentiate from his natural ones.

The girls immediately let out an ear-rape-worthy squeal and chatter away about his sophisticated acknowledgment. Once out of their earshot, Seijuro lets out a heavy exhalation, tiredly pushing back his bright red bangs before giving me a fatigue smile, "I promise it was never this bad in middle school."

"People are much bolder in high school than in middle school, Sei-kun," I wearily chuckled as I lean against the locker beside his, equally exhausted from the girls' endeavour to charm him, "though I wish they'd stop soon."

"I apologize, Katsumi," he grimaces, arranging his books organized inside his bag, "I can only do as I please at school, and I would not want students to treat me as before. Bear with me for a while."

"Tell that to Ekichi-san. He's been itching to kick those students out the window since," I laugh, recalling every time the ever-hungry player would become red at the sight of the students, and -without fail- telling me 'this ain't a damn circus! I will gladly swing these animals out the window if you let me.'

My smile broadens when Seijuro chuckles with me, his features now seeming more relaxed than before, "I'll be going to the washroom for a bit. Wait here for a moment."

I nodded with a hum of confirmation, later using my phone to play games as entertainment. Moments after, I check the time to realize it has been more than five minutes, with no Seijuro nearby. With brows knitted in confusion, I gently push myself off the lockers and head towards the nearest boys' washroom.

What I discover is of utmost surprise.

When arriving, I quickly hide behind one of the empty classrooms and see standing before the redhead is Abe Masami, daughter of a great corporate CEO. She twirls her dyed platinum hair with her perfectly polished, gazing at Seijuro with surreal confidence.

"You and I would make a marvellous power couple, Akashi-kun. Imagine two influential businesses coming together, becoming unrivalled by others. Our parents would be very, very happy with this news."

"I am flattered by your confession, Abe. However, I do not share the same sentiments as you."

Instantly, her poised smirk turns grim, both hands now on her hips as she frowns at Seijuro, rich brown eyes flaring with rage, "Is it because of that girl— Oikawa Katsumi, was it? Nothing is interesting about her, and she has no status. She has nothing to offer you, Akashi-kun. She'll end up being more of a leach than anything—"

"That is enough." Seijuro's hardened voice booms throughout the halls, the girl's expression now shifting into slight horror. And though his back is facing me, it is safe to say he is glaring furiously by the tone. "Only because she holds my affection, and you do not, does not give you the right to speak about her in such ways. Never let me catch you talk ill of her, ever."

Only because she holds my affection

The words continue to echo inside my mind as I held tightly onto the door in utter disbelief. My heart thumps louder by the second when it finally sinks in that my feelings are not unrequited. This whole time, I had been insecure about students like Abe, as they are figures from prominent families who fancied Seijuro. Much like what she said, I am insignificant comparing to them.

"— Katsumi."

I quickly glance up at the call of my name, finding Seijuro looking softly down at me with a kind smile and using his knuckle to delicately wipe the droplets -that I had not realized I had shredded- at the corners of my eyes. Behind him, there was no trace of the girl, leaving us alone in the empty halls. "I did not wish to convey my feelings to you in such a way, Katsumi. But, if you'd like, would you allow me to confess to you once more on our date?"

| to be continued