Chapter 14

Throughout Vuela's storytelling endeavor, Sora doesn't say a word, and his eyes don't wander from Vuela's candid look on her face. Like Latimore Savage, he listens, and he listens closely. As Vuela commences a shaking fit, he pulls her into his arms and sits his head on top of hers. Vuela hasn't felt a body as warm as one of a survived stillborn.

"So...after all of that...do you have any questions? Are you starting to question me?"

He licks his bottom lip and replies, "If you didn't leave after I told my arm story, why would I do that to you after telling your life story?"

Why would he? Vuela tells herself that she really, really, really, really, really, needs to stop doubting people who have more tragic backstories than hers.

Sora is also correct that whatever is happening, it's indeed magical.

"Well, I think I need to get you back to that cabin of yours. It's getting extremely late, and we gotta be up by--"

"Before you pick me up," Vuela interrupts, "I actually want to stay here...with you...if you don't mind."

"Huh. Unexpected choice, Miss Hawkins." Sora smirks. "I don't mind it at all...as long as you don't mind sleeping on the floor?"

"I've dealt with worse."

"Like what?"

"Well, maybe not worse, but I've slept on the floor before...except it was a sleeping bag in a spare room."

Sora's lips form an "o," and he nods.

"And I do have something else to ask."

"Is it about what we just talked about?"

"No, it's about Savage."

Sora cocks an eyebrow. "What about Savage?"

"The other day, you called her "the Maiden." What on Earth was that about?"

There's a pregnant quiet from the older boy. Vuela stares into his pupils and watches them shrink. He shakes his head and states that it shouldn't be a big deal to her, and that it's a personal running joke between guardian and apprentice. "You wouldn't understand. Too long of a story."

"Oh?" she replies deeply.

"Yeah..."

"I mean, we have all night. What's too long anyway?"

"I think we need to get some sleep now. Is that fine?"

"Alright, you win this round, Gates."

Vuela sleeps over throughout the rest of the night, letting her the rest of emotions drain into passive fatigue. Vuela has quiet, undisturbed hours of soothing, comfortable rest that feels like home for the first time since before the incident, and it surprises and pleases her to know that Sora's still coddling her when she wakes up.

Vuela and Sora try their best to meet up as soon as they're done with chores...until their next ones, of course. Their favorite place to hangout is the galley, where Savage can keep an eye on Sora's gentlemanly behavior. She says nothing as the kids sit at the tables, talking about things that not even Savage has heard from Sora before.

"What were you scallywags up to this morning?" she asks, preparing lunch for the day. "You've been chattering nonstop."

"Oh, just blabbering about nothing," Sora casually replies, tapping on the top of Vuela's hand.

She pulls away and agrees. "Nothing special."

"Oh, it has to be special. You two have been bumpin' into each other after each of your chores." Savage crosses her arms and snickers. "I know something's happenin', and it doesn't take magic to figure out what it is."