Part One, Chapter Nine

Niall looks the exact opposite of scary in his Halloween costume. The toddler has the most adorable expression on his little face; blue eyes big and bright as ever, smile wide and baby teeth visible, his cheeks all rosy with excitement. He practically squeals when he sees himself in the mirror - kitted out in a white lab coat that's much too big for him so the sleeves are rolled over five times to rest against his knuckles.

He's supposed to be wearing the round glasses to match the costume, only the bridge of his nose is too small to keep them up, which only really proves once again exactly how tiny the boy is. It makes Zayn just want to smoosh him all up in a giant hug every time he lays eyes on him.

He and Harry are both dressed as mad scientists for trick or treating; which had originally been Harry's idea but Niall had instantly decided he wanted to match his big brother.

Even Liam seems happier that evening, flapping the cape of his vampire costume constantly as if in character.

"Can we go to Mr Rogers house again this year, Papa?" He asks, rocking back on his heels with his brown eyes puppy-like. "He gives the best sweets ever!" He exclaims.

And even though old Mr Rogers lives two blocks over and he'd only intended to take the boys out along their street for maybe twenty minutes since it's cold out, he's so happy to see their oldest acting more like himself again that he can't help but give in.

He ruffles the kid's hair with a chuckle. "Course we can, bud," he answers warmly, and Liam grins at that, turning to Harry.

"Last year, he gave me, like, fifty-billion bags of Haribo!" He exaggerates, and Zayn smiles at the innocence, glancing over his shoulder at his husband, who is watching the interaction with a relieved sort of smile.

It's been a week since Liam's last appointment with Gabbie, and he's yet to open up to them despite them trying their best to break through to the kid. Thankfully, he's been acting more himself since school gave out for the one week of half-term break which they're now on the second to last day of, and his mood doesn't seem to be dipping.

Zayn only hopes that it stays this way.

"Harry bo? That's like my name!" Harry exclaims gleefully, and Liam agrees with equal amounts of enthusiasm as Niall bounces up and down beside them.

"M'gonna get lotsa sweeties," he says, and Zayn knows that the kid's cute factor will certainly get him more than enough to last him a while. He smiles at the way he has his teddy bear, Red, tucked beneath one arm.

"Right, we're all set to go," Zayn announces, slipping on his jacket as the kids all cheer in excitement before he turns to face his husband. "Are you sure you want to stay? I'm happy to switch places if you -"

"As much as I love our children, I don't want to be there when they're tired and stroppy and ready to come home," he says with a smirk, and Zayn lets out a small laugh, leaning in to press a kiss to the man's lips.

He smiles against the kiss. "I love you," he says as he pulls away, and Louis just smirks even harder.

"I should hope you do," he retorts, before his cheeks darken a little. "I love you too, Mr Malik."

Zayn would definitely be lying if he says that those words don't go straight to his -

"Papa let's go!" Harry whines impatiently, all the boys waiting by the door already.

Louis smiles, giving him a small shove. "Now go, I'll be too busy handing out sweets to everyone else's kids to miss you," he adds cheekily, and Zayn presses one last kiss to his husband's cheek before he hurried over to the boys, opening the door. Niall holds a hand up to him innocently, Red hooked under his other arm. He takes the toddler's tiny hand in his with a smile.