Part Three, Chapter Six

Harry takes his time in packing away his things when the bell rings. He only has a free period next anyway, so there's no rush in getting to another class.

Hannah waits with him, talking away as usual. The two of them have remained friends throughout the years, even when Max moves away and it became just the two of them. Of course they've had other friends and flings along the way but ultimately, it usually ends up just being the two of them.

"And then I said, you shouldn't have asked me if you didn't want an honest answer. That wasn't too harsh, was it?" She goes on as Harry pulls his bag up onto his shoulder and waves goodbye to the teacher on his way out.

He huffs out an amused laugh at his friend's familiar dramatics as they walk through the school corridors side by side. "Hannah. Surely you've accepted by now that harsh is just your personality," he teases.

She gives him a shove with an annoyed glare before her features tug into a frown and she nods over his shoulder. "S'that Ni?"

He turns to follow her gaze, frowning himself when he sees Niall sitting on a bench outside of one of the classrooms; the thirteen year old's shoulders are slumped, head rested back against the wall. Even from a distance, he looks pale and almost scrawny in a way that Niall has never been - he's always had that babyish roundness to his features.

He purses his lips as a wave of concern drifts over him. His little brother hasn't been himself lately. It's hard to put a finger on it, because if he didn't know any better, he would think he's the same hyper, loud, happy kid he's always been. But something is just...off.

"I'll meet you in the library in a bit?" He says as he turns to Hannah.

She gives a nod in agreement before she turns to head up the stairs. Harry watches her for a moment before he turns back to his brother, weaving through the people that haven't yet returned to classes until he gets to the bench.

"What's wrong?" He asks immediately, and Niall jumps before releasing a breath, one hand moving up to his chest.

"You scared me," he mumbles, and that in itself is a red light to Harry because Niall is always loud. Even when he claims he's speaking at a normal volume.

He moves to sit beside the smaller boy, turned toward him slightly and frowning at his bloodshot eyes and the bags embedded beneath them. "Have you still been having trouble sleeping?" He asks, because he can hear the boy pacing most nights until late.

Niall frowns at him then. "What?" He asks quite abruptly, then lifts a hand to rub at his eye and gives a shrug, letting out another huff. "Um, yeah. I guess. I fell asleep last class so Mr Wilkins said I should sit out here for a while."

Harry hesitates then, watching as Niall's blue eyes flicker around the clearing hall as if he doesn't really know for sure where he is, before they settle on him again, lids dropping to half mast. He smiles in sympathy, putting a gentle hand on his shoulder.

It comes as a surprise when Niall leans into the touch and tucks himself beneath his arm instead, letting out a sigh. And sure, they're close but they haven't sat together like this in a while.

Not that he minds it at all; he loves Niall to bits and he'd do anything for him. He's just worried.

He pulls him in closer, peering down at the top of his head. "Do you need me to call Dad? Or Papa?" He offers, but he just shakes his head vehemently. Harry pauses and then rubs his arm in a way he hopes is comforting. "Do you know why you haven't been sleeping well? 'Cause if you're really stressing yourself out over grades and stuff, then it isn't worth it. Remember Liam used to do the same, and Dad and Papa never forced him to carry on -"