10〝ten〞

BY THE FOLLOWING WEEK, ELLIS abandoned visiting the library altogether. Instead, she lugged her homework up to the Astronomy Tower on Monday afternoon when she would otherwise have flying lessons and started on a Transfiguration piece Professor McGonagall had set them that morning.

Night had fallen when she heard the Baron's groaning and clanking, and the dark sky seemed to remind her that she was indeed hungry. She checked her pocket watch; it had long past dinner time. Nevertheless, she told the Baron that she would see if there was anymore dessert and in any case would return to finish her work—her progress had been dreadful with a virtual figment of Cedric Diggory badgering her every few minutes.

When Ellis arrived at the Great Hall, however, she was astonished: not so much by the fact that there was positively no dessert left, but that the four House tables had gone. In its place was perhaps the entire school, which explained the very empty halls she was grateful to pass through on her way down. Everyone was looking very interestedly towards the middle where overhead floated a thousand or so kindling candles, but Ellis couldn't decide faster that she wanted out. She made for the entrance—

"Ellis," someone hissed.

She looked around but knew who to expect before she laid eyes upon him. Only a single person had thus far dared to ask:

"Can I call you Ellis?"

"Only if you promise never to call me by anything else."

And with careful regard for his word, Ellis granted him the rare honor. (Luna Lovegood had simply given it to herself, but as she was nice—albeit, quirky—Ellis had no qualms.)

It was none other than Rolf Scamander, his head sticking out from under a sea of robes, waving furiously. He broke free and scampered towards her, beaming.

Maybe it was a Hufflepuff thing.

"Ellis!" he repeated in delight, though not all too loudly that it attracted attention. "Didn't believe my eyes at first. Thought you'd be up in the library."

"Well...I was just looking for some pudding," said Ellis, fidgeting, "and since there's none, I really should get go—"

Ellis saw Professor Lockhart first (his blazing purple robes were simply impossible to miss), then caught a glimpse of Professor Snape and his wake of billowing black striding onto a raised platform in the eye of the crowd.

"Ooh, it's starting!" said Rolf excitedly. "Come on, the Hufflepuffs've got good spots."

Before she knew it, Ellis was being dragged through the throng. Admittedly, it could have been worse. The taller students parted quite willingly every time Rolf said "excuse us," and it surprised Ellis just how easily they were upfront. No one seemed to have realized it was her, though, or she was sure the berth they were given would have been much wider, and that people wouldn't be rushing to pack themselves against her back as Professor Lockhart shortly announced, "Gather round, gather round!"

At last, Ellis discovered what all the fuss was about: a Dueling Club.

Seeing as there was hardly a chance of escaping now, Ellis decided she was intrigued as well—though she highly doubted how the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher might pull it off. After all, he only ever recited excerpts from his books in class, as if everyone else was quite illiterate and incapable of reading on their own. She had never even seen him perform so much as a Wand-Lighting Charm.

Rolf, on the other hand, wasn't bragging when he claimed the Hufflepuffs had good spots. From where they were, roughly halfway along one length of the vast golden stage, they had a clear view of both teachers.

Expectantly, Ellis looked towards her Head of House and soon found herself biting her lower lip to curb laughter: Professor Lockhart had been Disarmed onto the floor, lying in a heap of his own flamboyant clothing. Some girls nearby were craning their necks towards the mess, muttering worriedly, but Ellis saw, just for a split second, Professor Snape grinning as though mighty pleased. It made her grin too.

Following the cataclysmic display, both teachers proceeded to pair students up for practice. As Professor Lockhart came towards the Hufflepuffs, the crowd around Ellis dispersed automatically. Everyone was picking their favorite friend to team up with. She could see the entrance of the Great Hall again—now was her chance. Furtively, she meandered through the duos, keeping her head down, but everything was suddenly engulfed in a deep shade of plum.

"Ah, Miss Grindelwald," said Lockhart in his usual splashy tone. Ellis let out a resigned sigh as he grabbed her by the shoulder and set her up straight. A bout of gasps had rippled through the people within earshot; they were already edging away. Lockhart, apparently oblivious, glanced around keenly. "Let's see..."

He flung out his other arm towards a Hufflepuff but the boy swiftly ducked out of the way. Lockhart looked appalled.

"It's alright, sir. I'll be her partner." Rolf Scamander had reappeared.

"Good man, Scamander," said Lockhart, clapping him on the back, and moved off towards the ducking boy. "Finch-Fletchley"—Lockhart pointed at a round-face Gryffindor as pale as the Baron—"you can have Longbottom then."

As Lockhart swept off, pairing more students together, Rolf stepped closer.

"Were you...leaving?" he asked. He sounded a little hurt; Ellis couldn't bear to look at him.

"I didn't come for this," confessed Ellis.

At that very moment, her stomach made a soft growl, which could only have been audible now that barely anyone was within a three-feet radius.

"Right," said Rolf, "pudding. I think some of the older Hufflepuffs know how to get into the kitchens. I heard it's near our common room. I'll ask them later, then we can get you something to eat after this."

He was bright as sunshine again when Ellis gazed up. She gave him a small smile.

"That's very kind—"

The inkling of being watched crept up on Ellis again. Just then, Lockhart ordered everyone to spread out, indicating especially to a large group of students squeezed together outside the imaginary boundary that followed Ellis wherever she went. Reluctantly, some teetered into the empty space. Snape, however, wasn't impressed by their speed—or lack of it. A flare shot out the end of his wand and across the hall; everyone was forced into position at once. Ellis caught that twitch of a mighty pleased grin again, and then, she saw it.

Some many couples away stood Cedric Diggory. He had been looking at her; he flashed her a smile, probably the briefest he'd ever given her. Even then, his partner, a blonde of almost the same height back-facing Ellis, seemed to notice this but his effort to turn around was prevented by the Quidditch player, who, by the looks of it, launched into profuse speech to keep his flaxen-haired friend occupied.

For reasons unbeknownst to Ellis, her insides felt as though they were tangling up, and it grew increasingly uncomfortable to watch an extremely talkative Cedric Diggory. She concocted the excuse that the sight of Lockhart and his obnoxiously violet garment was making her hungrier because he resembled a gigantic eggplant, and Rolf (who laughed and agreed) happily swapped places with her.

Finally, they were allowed to begin. Ellis and Rolf bowed as instructed, then raised their wands.

"One...two...three..."

"Expelliarmus!" shouted Ellis. Instantly, Rolf's wand flew out of his grip, hovering a foot above him. Rolf, who hadn't even managed to utter the incantation, stared in fascination from his floating wand to Ellis.

"Wow," he breathed.

Pointing her wand at his, Ellis guided the strip of chestnut back into her partner's hand and said, "Now, you go."

Rolf nodded and cleared his throat. He opened his mouth but it was only to cry, "Watch out!"

AN:
Thank you all so much for 2.5K reads and 100+ votes. I never thought I'd reach this milestone when I first started this book, and honestly I'm a little stressed out now bc I'm so busy at work with such little time/energy/inspiration nowadays, but I'm working hard to make this work. I hope you can be patient with me, and happy Tuesday 🤍 stay safe and healthy everyone!