32〝thirty-two〞

ALTHOUGH HE MADE NO COMMENT, it was evidence enough to Ellis that Cedric had heard and sensed her uneasiness when he diverted the conversation to lunch—though that she was grateful for. As the Principle Exceptions to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration prevented the Room of Requirement from producing its own food, Cedric offered to grab some from the Great Hall.

"I'll be right back. Just stay here, all right?"

"I won't disappear, if that's what you're worried about," said Ellis exhaustedly.

She wasn't in the mood to move—she wasn't even in the mood to flee.

"I didn't say you would. ... And that's not what I'm worried about," she heard him mumble as he left.

Either Cedric didn't take long or Ellis had totally lost her concept of time musing on the past. He returned presently with a sackful of treats, from piping hot soup and chips to apple pies and creme brûlée. Eating cheered Ellis up considerably, but the inevitable was looming just around the corner. As they finished the last of their dessert, the tension between them mounted sky high again.

"Look, it's fine if you don't want to talk about it, you know. We can talk about something else."

"Then you're just wasting your time. That isn't what you're here for."

"I'm here to get to know you," said Cedric kindly, "and I don't want to do it in any way that makes you uncomfortable. Besides, I definitely don't think this is a waste of time."

"I just don't know where to start," she admitted after a while.

That much was true. Ellis had only ever conveyed the "long story" once firsthand, and it was to the Baron. Even then, it had been a choppy recount, with significant exclusions. In fact, now that she came to think of it, she had only told the ghost about Elliot, which constituted just half of the tale.

"Don't stress over it," Cedric reassured Ellis as she stared on into the leaping flames. "Why don't we just continue what we were doing? Maybe you can throw in some of your own questions this time."

Ellis considered his suggestion, then nodded.

"Ladies first," said Cedric in a sing-song voice.

"Okay... My favorite subject is Astronomy," said Ellis, playing it safe.

"Transfiguration and Ancient Runes."

"You can't have two favorite subjects—"

"I so can too—"

"No, by definition, 'favourite' means one," insisted Ellis, crossing her arms. "You have to pick a side."

"Fine," he conceded, and looked like a child forced to choose just one favorite toy. For some obscure reason, Ellis found this adorable. "Ancient Runes, I suppose... Favorite teacher?"

"Professor McGonagall."

Cedric's brows nearly vanished into his fringe.

"Why?"

"She's an Animagus!" said Ellis excitedly. "She can turn into a cat whenever she likes. How fantastic is that? I hope I can be one some day."

"What would your Animagus be, a dragon?"

"Being fond of them doesn't equate to wanting them for everything."

Just as she said it, however, she had a stroke of inspiration: If she could—transform into a dragon—she might just be able to keep him at bay. As is, he wouldn't "volunteer to go near one." Furthermore, how convenient would that be for a dragon handler? Now that would be fantastic. It certainly would boost her résumé. Perhaps the idea, crazy as it was, ought not to be dismissed so hastily...