6: Not Again

TW: This chapter contains content depicting sexual assault which may be triggering and not suitable for all readers

If you've experienced sexual abuse or assault, the following post could be potentially triggering. You can contact the  National Sexual Assault and Abuse Telephone Hotline at 1-800-656-4673 or visit www.rainn.org.

"Oh gosh!" I squirmed in my seat and clutched Harper's arm

"Oh gosh!" I squirmed in my seat and clutched Harper's arm. Jake leaned forward in his seat and smiled from the other side of her. He hadn't stopped smiling since he got home from tryouts.

"Youngest on the team, hmm?" Harper teased and patted his hand. "Hope that means you won't be the most hazed tonight."

He lifted his eyes to our driver, one of the team's starters. "Probably will be."

Music beats filled my ears as Jake opened the door and helped Harper, then me out. I smoothed my damp hands over my skirt, took a deep breath, and followed them into whoever's house this was.

No more than four steps in, I saw him. With one look, he sucked the breath from my lungs. Soft brown eyes drew me like ants to a sugar cube. The thrummed bass beats were drowned out by the ones in my chest. I stood no chance and melted on the spot under his smoldering gaze. Burning eyes saw me from across the room and seconds later he was near me.

Two hours of prep tonight with Harper? Totally worth it.

"Hey..." His tongue dragged over his lower lip as he took an appreciative look.

The instant flash of attraction in those warm brown eyes was mutual, at least based on how my heart felt like it wanted to burst through my chest.

"Hi." I shook his extended hand, hoping my knees didn't knock together. Wherever he looked, my body tingled as if his fingers caressed my skin.

He was hot from a distance but up close? The details were overwhelming. Intense gaze, wide smile, straight teeth, broad shoulders, strong jaw, corded neck muscles, styled sandy brown hair, warm brown eyes so deep that I drowned myself in them – my eyes didn't know where to land.