twenty-eight

JANIE'S POV

When I woke up, everything was different. I felt lighter, like a huge weight had been lifted off my chest. I had cried myself to sleep, but it was a good cry. A revitalizing cry. I felt raw and emotional, but for the first time in a long time, I felt like I was allowed to be. 

I force myself out of bed to make breakfast. I hadn't texted Harry the night before as I promised, so as I'm walking down the stairs, I decide to send him a quick text.

Janie: Hey, sorry I didn't text you last night. Things got a little crazy. I'm okay though. 

I decide not to elaborate any further, wanting to tell him the news in person. As I reach the end of the stairs and click send, I hear a ding sound out from my living room. My head shoots up and when I see a man sitting on my couch, turned away from me, I let out a blood-curdling scream. I slam my body back into the wall, trying to put as much distance between me and the intruder as possible. I look to the kitchen, wondering if I could make it there and back with a knife to defend myself. 

Harry turns around with a face of horror before realizing that he was the cause of my terror. 

"It's just me! It's just me!" He exclaims, raising his hands in defense. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"

I let out a deep breath, my hand flying to my chest as my heart practically pounds out of my chest. He crosses the space between us quickly, half out of worry and half in amusement. 

"You scared me," I fuss, slapping his arm and he shoots me a cheeky grin. 

"I'm sorry, honey bunny, I didn't mean to," he practically coos before reaching his arms out. "Cmere." He pulls me into this chest and I nuzzle my face into his soft tee shirt. I feel my breathing slow as I listen to his heartbeat. One hand rubs small circles into my back while the other one holds my head steadily, his fingers laced through my hair. 

"What're you doing here?" I whimper into his chest. 

"I came to check on you. I hadn't heard from you and I got worried. I have a spare key, just in case, and I got freaked out. I'm sorry," he explains and I smile faintly as my stomach flips. He was worried about me. 

After a few moments of comfortable silence, he whispers "You okay?" into my hair. The question was weighted and about more than just my fear of home intrusions. 

"I'm okay," I sigh, pulling back from him. He studies my face with pulled brows as he stares deeply into my eyes, trying to decipher my mood. 

"We broke up," I add and I see his body relax as he sighs deeply. 

"I'm sorry, Janie," he breathes out before pulling me back into a hug. I relax into him, breathing his scent in deeply. He smelled like vanilla and campfires and warmth. He resumes rubbing my back soothingly as I cling to him. 

"It's okay," I reply hesitantly. "It's good, actually."

"Really?" He asks through my hair and I nod. I pull back so I can look him in the eyes.

"I was expecting for my world to crumble but everything is...okay. Different," I explain. 

"Good different?"