fifty-two

HARRY'S POV

On the ride to the bar, I can't stop looking at her. My fingers play with hers, my eyes soak in the shorter length of her honey-colored hair. My eyes flick over her features, taking in everything about her that has changed and that has stayed the same. 

For the first time in months, I feel like I can breathe again. 

"I can't believe you're really here," I sigh out for what feels like the millionth time. She smiles at me lovingly and reaches a hand up to cup my cheek. She rubs her thumb along my cheekbone and I close my eyes at the feeling. 

"I missed you so much," she confesses, making my heart feel like it's going to burst out of my chest. I close the space between us to press my lips against hers. It's short and sweet but I feel my body fill to the brim with pure joy. She's really here

"I love you," I breathe after pulling away. 

"And I love you," she hums, unable to hide the adoration on her face. Before I can say anything else, her hands falls to mine and and gives them a tight squeeze. 

"I am so so sorry, Harry," she says again, a sentiment she hasn't stopped saying either. 

"I told you to stop apologizing," I shake my head. 

"But-"

"None of it matters now. You're here now. Nothing else matters." 

She's quiet at my words before nodding a few times, half agreeing and half trying to convince herself that I'm right. My eyes fall to her hands as she twists the sundial ring around and around until I think her finger is going to fall off. 

"So, how have you been?" I ask, trying to change the subject. To try and soothe her hurting. She looks up at me with humor in her eyes before letting out a loud laugh. 

"You are not trying to have small talk with me right now," she bubbles out, shaking her head as she laughs. I join her within seconds with a shrug. As our laughter dies down, she looks at me with a serious expression. 

"I'm scared to see your friends again," she confesses. "I'm sure they hate me."

"They don't hate you," I shake my head in protest. "They're just going to be thrilled to see you again. Hell, look at Jeff. He looked like he could fall to the ground and kiss your feet tonight." 

She lets out a small laugh, again, trying to convince herself that I was right. 

"We're here, Mr. Styles," my driver annouces from the front of the car, snapping me out of our bubble. I look out the window and see a street full of my closest friends, waiting to celebrate my first show. When I look to Janie again, though, worry is etched in her every feature. 

"Hey," I say, forcing her eyes up to me again. My hands cup her face lovingly as I stare into the eyes I've dreamt about since August. 

"Remmeber what I said. None of it matters. Nothing that has happened since August matters. All that matters is that I love you, and you love me, and that we're together. Everything else is background noise."

"Promise?" She repeats my words from the Forum. 

"Promise," I confirm and lean in to kiss her again. I wrap my arms around her, pulling her as close as humanly possible. We stay like that for a moment, melting into each other. Realizing that we are in fact together, finally. 

"We'll be alright." 

.............................................................

Author's Note: Hi guys! Long time no chat! Sorry for the long wait, but this is the 'final' chapter of Falling! I will be posting an epilogue sometime this week that I am super super excited about. Thank you all for 210k reads and for all the continued support of this story!