Chapter 2: Investigation (Preboot)

[Y/N's POV]

The next day, I had completely forgotten about what The World Machine had told me. That Niko might be closer than it seems, until about halfway through the day, but when I remembered, I started investigating right away.

It seemed much harder than originally anticipated. I had to do research onto this town, onto the missing person, onto what was going on.

But who would ever take me seriously? I'm just a child. Looking for someone I'll never find.

I decided to start asking some other people about the missing person.

"Excuse me, sir?", I said nervously.

"Yes?", He replied, sounding kind of annoyed.

"Have you heard of the missing person around town?", I asked

"Ah, yes. That case, We have no clue why they randomly disappeared.", He stated. Seemed as he was some kind of investigator or something.

"Were they found yet?", I asked, hoping for a good answer.

"...Yes, I believe so.", He replied

"What's their name?", I asked, with hope in my eyes.

"Why do you want to know? Look, kid, I can't waste my time on this. I need to get back to my town, how about you go play around, alright?", He said, crushing all of my hopes.

I dejectedly walked away. He had barely answered anything, only that the child had returned home. But I couldn't give up yet, I wanted to see Niko again. I had to see Niko again.

And I was going to find them.

[Niko's POV]

"You're quite the talk of the town, you know.", My Mama said to me.

"Wow!", I responded, I thought it was cool! I was going to be famous and I could tell everyone about the old world and-

"That's not a good thing", Mama camly stated.

"People are asking about you, someone even asked the investigator up front today."

"Huh? Why?", I asked, I was really curious!

"I don't know.", Mama simply stated.

I was wondering something for a moment... could it be?

No, it couldn't be [Y/N]... I was just hoping again... I just really want to see them again...

"Are you okay? You look sad.", My Mama asked, concerned

"Oh! I'm fine! I was just thinking about something.", I said quickly

Me and Mama talked a bit longer until I went outside to think. Could it really be [Y/N] who asked about me? or was I just hoping?

I wanted to be right, I felt I was right

I really hope they can find me.

[Well, it seems they both are believing now.]

[Their reunion shall be soon.]

Authors Note: Hi! I just wanted to say that both The Reader character and Niko are below 13 in this fanfic to avoid... stuff. and also thank you to my friends for helping me promote this story! This story will most likely not have a definitive end. not any time soon at least, this is just going to be The Reader and Niko having a good time once they reunite. just some happy times. I hope you all will enjoy that when it comes!

-Birb