ESCAPE

I have to survive...

I had successfully gotten the boat in the water and started the engines.

The static noise from the walkie-talkie was almost masked by the sound of the roaring engine, but I heard it anyway.

"Kelvin?" I called.

"Xena! You've found the boat, haven't you?" He asked immediately.

"Yes. I'm coming."

"I'll direct you on how to find us," he assured me.

Suddenly, a strong wind blew on the shore, causing sand to rise and flow violently around, almost like a sand storm. But as soon as it came; it died down.

That was when I noticed the lone piece of paper floating in the water beside my boat. It wasn't just a paper, it was a page from the ritual book!

I collected it from the water, most of the words had washed away but one paragraph.

But beware, if this child were to flee then my wrath will rain down on all habitants of Aromes.

I shall destroy everything that possesses the breath of life...

Realisation struck me hard. I first turned off the engines of the boats and turned the button of the walkie-talkie.

"Kelvin," I whispered in pain.

"Xena? Have you left already?" he asked.

"Kelvin... If I leave, Zula will kill everyone," I managed to say, before breaking down into sobs.

"I was afraid you'll find that out, but don't worry; we'll find a way," he said, his voice almost breaking too.

I just closed my eyes.

If I leave, my previous experiences will come to past.

Mom and Dad will die.

Kelvin will die.

Everyone will die.

Everything I saw, will happen.

"Kelvin I'm sorry but I can't let you all die," I told him.

"What are you saying? You don't have to be a hero! Someone else can do that!" His voice was already rising.

"You don't understand," I started to sob.

"I don't need a hero... I-I need my sister," he pleaded.

"I love you all."

"What? NO!" he screamed but I cut the connection.

I hope I don't regret this.

Dark clouds had crept into the sky. A storm was coming. The end was coming for me.

***

I stood in front of my house. What better way to die if not my home?

"I'm here," I said to no one in particular.

As if on cue, the knocks began.

Knock!

Knock!!

Knock!!!

The ground started to vibrate like an earthquake was coming. It was going in unison with the knocks.

I was scared but I didn't move. Nothing was going to make me back down from this.

Then I saw it. A storm of dark mist was coming in fast. It was coming my way.

To end my life. I closed my eyes and waited for it.

It's over.