Chapter XIX

Chapter XIX ─ Damage Control

[ M I C H A E L   G R I F F I N ]

My palms were unnaturally sweaty as I leaped towards the front door of the Clay residence. My heart was racing, my thoughts had long gone haywire and I could hear a faint female voice yelling from the other side of the door.

I was worried sick and couldn't take my mind off of Bryan, out of all the days, Jen had to resurface today, didn't she? I didn't know what I should have expected inside of the house, why was my ex-best friend's sister tormenting him? I pursed my lips and inhaled the last breath of fresh air and dove headfirst into what seemed to be a messy situation.

The front door creaked a little as I swiftly peeked in and made my way inside. The voices, or rather voice, had gone silent and I had two pairs of mildly infuriated, but confused eyes on me. Jenna Clay's lips curled up into a nasty smirk. "Well, well, well, if it isn't a pleasure to see you." Her tone had been dry, all but welcoming.

"Jen." I retorted, void of emotions. I looked at Bryan sitting on a barstool, his gaze was focused on the floor and I could see his nostrils flaring, his breathing erratic. He was trying his best to keep his temper in check and it showed, whatever Jen was drilling his head about was getting to him and it was only a matter of time before he snapped.

I held my chin up and stared at Jenna with an interrogative glare. "What's going on here?"

Bryan sighed from the barstool and shot me a pleading look. "Go home, Michael, this is none of your business."

I flinched at his words but continued pressing the matter, I wasn't going to let my deepest regret ruin her brother's life today. "Oh no, this is absolutely my business. You weren't present for practice today, you weren't answering your phone and I was worried sick. When I saw Jen here, I could only connect the dots. So don't give me that bullshit, Bryan." I gazed back at Jen with a cold glare, she had an amused expression on her face. "Now, what are you doing here?"

"Am I not allowed to come home once in a while and visit my beloved brother? Sheesh, I'm hurt that you think I'm the bad guy here, Michael." Jen answered mockingly, stifling a yawn. 

"Jen, I don't think you realize that I am not as easily manipulated as I used to be when you decided to try and wrap me around your finger. Cut the bullshit, why are you here, what do you want and how soon can you piss off?" I challenged her with a glare and earned a surprised chuckle from her.

"You've grown quite the attitude, I liked you better when you were a complacent little brat. But to answer your question, I was talking some sense into my dear brother, isn't that right, faggot?" She shot a glare at Bryan. When I saw the flinch on my former best friend's face I paled. Is that what all this was about?