Chapter 1

The history of the werewolf is greatly unknown within the human race,nor did the wolves ever want it to be known. Yet, there were some humans who rebelled against this ignorance forced upon them; for if they were to be controlled they wanted to know exactly what they were being controlled by.

For the last two decades humans had been aware of the wolves' existence. Their appearance in the life of the humans was shocking, for one day human's lived in blissful harmony, another their lives changed forever. The wolves refused to live separately any longer; they wished to roam the world without restriction, to be free. Little did the humans know that the wolves' revelation was less about the wish to be free, and was in fact a smoke screen for the real reason, the reason that no wolf could ever ignore.

In the beginning the wolves were complacent to the actions of the humans, but as time went on, they craved control, their primal instincts disallowing for the freedom of humans. For humans were the prey, and they were most certainly the predators.

•••
'Come on Emery, you need to keep up!"

Emery has always struggled in these sessions. Her natural petite frame did little to aid her in training. Sweat glistened across her body, her muscles ached. Yet Ash was not easing up on her. He stood across from her, his makeshift boxing gloves held up in front of him.
"Ash we've been at this for hours, can't we have a break?" Emery moaned. He raised his eyebrows at her, looking annoyed.
"And what happens if you're being chased by a wolf, think they're just going to give you a break when you get a bit tired?" Ash retorted.
Emery raised her own glove up, aiming for his chest.
"Seems to me you're almost wanting to be caught?" She swung once again, and he blocked it once more. His words were aggravating her.
"Seems you would be perfect as one of their mates, a weak, little, unresistant human. Just imagine it, you would live the rest of your life in a collar, chained to a beast who wanted you to produce his chil-"
SMACK. Her right fist collided with Ash's cheek, his head recoiling from the force. Emery didn't let up, swinging leg into his chest sending him to the floor. The anger had began to much to bare and she clambered over him, sending throws at his body. Ash's hands raised to protect his face.
"Okay Em, calm down okay?" He spoke from underneath his muscular forearms.
Slowly, Emery took in his words, her breathing slowed and she felt the anger lessen. She was sat on top of him and watched as he moved his arms from protecting his face. As his face came into view their eyes met, and he grinned.
"Knew you had it in you." He laughed. Emery huffed at him, still annoyed at his words. She gave him one last light punch to the chest and climbed off him, offering him a hand to stand. As he stood, Ash nudged his elbow into her shoulder, the height difference only allowing for this.
"You know sometimes you take it too far Ash?" Emery stated, and she meant it. The idea of being captured by the wolves made her blood feel icy, and the thought of being one of those beasts' mates was even more sickening. Ash's face slackened, slight remorse appearing on his face. He turned to face her as he spoke.
"I'm sorry for what I said, but sometimes you need that push, that anger. Remember what we are training for, preparing to fight against. We only know of their strength from humans, humans who... who experienced their strength and actually survived." He grimaced. "I have to make sure you're ready Em, and if that means using your hate against you I will."
Emery sighed, she knew Ash was right. The strength of the werewolves was unprecedented. She had encountered many animals in her life, yet none could even be compared to that of the beast. They had the ability to rip a human's throat from their neck without effort, they were able to rip beings limb from limb. Emery reached up and wrapped her arms around Ash's shoulders, his hands doing the same.
"I'm sorry too, I should try harder. It can just be draining at times. But you're right, we all need to do whatever we can for when the time comes where we are confronted by them."
Ash grinned at her, ruffling her slightly matted hair as he did so.
"Come on kiddo, let's get out of here."