Chapter 3

What was that noise? Emery groaned, rolling over in her soft bed. She dug her head into her pillow, relishing in the comfort. But no matter how much she wanted to go back to sleep, there was a persistent noise keeping her awake. She had never been a morning person, so any disruption to her sleep was never appreciated. Especially after such a poor night sleep. She had yet another nightmare,  so whoever it was making that noise was was about to be murdered.
Whining angrily she sat up in her bed, rubbing the tiredness from her sleepy eyes. Her eyes attempted to focus, still adjusting to the light. Under her eyelashes she made out a figure in front of her. "Ash?" Ash stood before her with a pan in one hand and a spoon in another. Emery yawned, trying to piece together the image before her. He grinned at her before tapping the spoon against the bottom of the pan.

That sound!

Emery growled at him, storming across the room to face him. He grinned at her, the sound still resonating around the room. She grabbed the spoon and threw it across the room, landing near a pile of her school books.
"What. Are. You. Doing?" She whispered venomously.
"We all know you never wake up with normal means so I thought I'd get creative." Ash grinned. She scowled at him, her dark eyes squinting at him in anger.
"And what exactly do I have to be awake for?" She questioned. It was a Saturday, no school, no training, or at least not until later.
"It's a surprise." He mused. "Meet me in the kitchen in 10."

...

Ten minutes later, dressed in leggings and a baggy jumper, Emery walked begrudgingly to the kitchen from her room. Passing through the living area she murmured hellos and good mornings to those there, the younger kids caring little about her presence as they were engrossed in the television.

Ash sat calmly at the breakfast bar, spinning around on the chair like a child. On her arrival he turned to smile at her and she couldn't help but smile back, even in her tired state. He had always had an infectious smile.
"So what is this big surprise then?" She spoke sarcastically. Ash was always coming up with weird things for them to do, considering himself as the entertainer of the group. He stood up, allowing the breakfast bar to come into view. Upon it lay a contraption, what it was Emery had no idea. She titled her head at him in confusion, her expression displaying her bewilderment. It looked like a piece of machinery, it was made entirely of metal yet it wasn't overly large. A silver arrow was connected to the rest of the metal, pointing at its end like a needle.
"Erm?"
Ash looked at her again, his grin growing even bigger.
"It's a tattoo gun, you're getting your tattoo!" He exclaimed, his eyes shining with excitement. Emery felt a squeal leave her lips as she ran towards Ash, wrapping her arms around him.

It had become a tradition after the group was formed that those who wanted to have one would get a tattoo. But it wasn't any regular tattoo. This tattoo symbolised your commitment to the group, your place within them. Every member would have the term 'Libertatem Pugnator' tattooed upon their body and then the individual could choose how they wanted to add to it if they wanted. Libertatem Pugnator was the Latin for 'Freedom Fighter', and that was exactly what this group was. They fought for their freedom. They resisted the wolves, they refused to be oppressed. They hadn't allowed themselves to be kept in a regime, forced to act under the command of those beasts. They had fought, yes their fight may be more subtle, but they had still fought. And if the events in the south were anything to go by, they may have an even larger fight for their freedom coming up.

Ash had his tattoo done last year and Emery had been extremely jealous ever since. Across his bicep lay the term interlaced with an eagle, it's wings spread as if in mid flight. He explained he wanted something that symbolised not only freedom, but strength. The eagle was a powerful beast, and Ash has explained that this has spoken to him. It's intricacy was beautiful and Emery had been waiting for the day she was allowed to have hers done.
"So you sure you want it?" Ash questioned and Emery shoved him playfully.
"Oh shut up you know how much I've been wanting it ever since you had yours!" Emery had spent many a night deciding on both the placement of her tattoo and it's design. She had redesigned it so many times she wondered if she would ever get it perfect, but she had finally gotten it how she wanted a few months ago. She had woken up in the middle of the night with a sudden inspiration, and had sketched until her alarm went off. The tiredness in class that day was worth it, the bags under her eyes only representing her excitement.