Chapter 3

It is time for the most essential part of the day.

"The 15 ladies going to the palace will be", starts the guard. Then he stops. . . He whispers something into the guard. The guard says something back.  My siblings come up behind me.  The 10-year-old twins Renalin and Xavier.  My brother, Xavier looks like me except he has grey eyes.  My sister, Renalin, looks like the dad that left us.  Red hair, grey eyes, and tan skin.

"The girls participating are Elain Hedrek, Joanna Merlin, Avila Cortana, Carmen, and Carmela Melni, Lilly Hofferson, Ruby Heslov, Marina Grella, Simela Hest, Salma Ruby, Aleah Pharfa, Jania Misty, Marcella Ariella, Alissa Limba,"  He takes a deep breath before saying, "last but not least Dare Emerlind,"

As that last name comes out of the taller person, every person starts to stare at me. Everyone was silent, then people started laughing, thinking it was a joke. That made me very offended, but I didn't get furious at anyone.

Then after everyone realized that it was true, they all let out a gasp...Then everyone started screaming and yelling at the taller. I kinda feel bad, since I was too busy hiding me and my siblings away from the angry mob, and stuff.

Then I think that I should head home, for a lot of reasons and I don't believe I can say all of them. So I drag my siblings home. . . Literally, drag my siblings home.  Then I start to hear someone laugh from behind me, soft, amused laugh.

"Hey, what are you laughing at," I shout in a full angry voice.

"How you are dragging your siblings Dare it is sooo funny." The creepy person says. Then this weird person turns around and says, 

"I'm, so sorry I left even though you know I didn't want to," the creepy person says.  Then I realize the person is my long lost best friend, Leo.  Leo, the only best friend I have had since I was five.

I run to him and hug him as tight as I possibly can. He is wearing a yellow rain jacket that makes him stand out like a sore thumb.

"You look like a sore thumb with that rain jacket...You know that right." I ask him as he scratches his head in confusion.

"Yeah, it wasn't my first choice.  Also, I don't know if I will be here very long because the guards will come looking for me, so yeah,"  Leo says in a very Leo voice.

"I know you dummy", I say in an annoying loving way.

"What did you call me," Leo asks in a slightly angry voice?

"Oh my gosh, look back there. I think I see some guards looking for the prince," I say as I'm about to yell the prince is here, but of course, the prince stops me before I can do all of that.

"Would you not do that," Leo asks in a half-mad voice." 

"Wait, there actually are guards.  Come with me," I say as fast as I can.

Great, now I have to drag 3 people. Wait, did my siblings already run home?  They must have.

As we start walking, I ask, "How are things there? Is it going well with your Mom and everything?" "My Moms dead. . ." Leo says as it gets quiet. "Really, I didn't know," I say, astonished in shock.

    "I know I shouldn't ask this, but how?" I ask as I see him taking a breath and thinking.

"My 'father' killed her," Leo says as his face turns sad.

"I'm so sorry, Leo.  I know how it feels", I mean, trying to comfort him.

"Well, the past is the past.  So how are things for you?" Leo asks in a usual way, like a normal voice.

"It's good," I say as I fiddle with my hands. I'm clearly lying, but if Leo knows he does not say.

"Good, "Leo says as he smiles in a sorta happy way.  We are off to my house, a place of darkness and misery.