24

By the end of the weekend, Charlie had returned to Romania

He had sent her an owl the night before he left, apologizing that he couldn't stop by to say goodbye before he portkeyed away, but Pascal had fallen ill and he had left almost immediately to help out at the sanctuary.

He was hoping to be back before his birthday on the 12th, but it was more likely that he wouldn't be home until Christmas Eve. What with everything going on in regards to politics and the damn trading policies, the sanctuary was horribly short staffed. Paul himself had temporarily gone off to Egypt to attend a rather important conference.

When another owl arrived midday, she assumed that it was from Charlie, telling her that he had arrived safely in Romania. Instead, she was somewhat shocked when she opened the letter and it was from his mother instead.

Dear Eloise,

I'm delighted that you're going to join us for Christmas this year, I was simply overjoyed when Charlie told me that you would be able to make it.

I would love it if you would join me for tea this week. Tomorrow at noon, perhaps?

With love,

Molly Weasley

She had stared blankly at the letter for nearly a quarter of an hour after she'd read it through several times, before snapping out of it and writing back to accept the invitation. The owl clearly was not going to leave without a response.

The next day at ten til noon, Eloise stood fussing in front of the hearth as she half-heartedly attempted to procrastinate. She wasn't sure how early you were supposed to arrive to tea with your crush's mother, but surely ten minutes was a reasonable amount of time? She dusted some imaginary lint off of her nicest pair of jeans and adjusted the neckline of her (very modest) sweater before stepping into the floo and announcing her destination clearly.

"The Burrow!"

She stumbled out ungracefully, but managed to stick the landing and not crumple into a heap on their living room rug, thank Merlin.

She looked around to see who had witnessed her less than stellar entrance, but mercifully the room was empty. Eloise heard bustling from the kitchen, and decided that her best bet would be to follow the noise.

As she rounded the corner, footsteps thundered down the stairs and she was nearly trampled by Ron as he jumped to the landing, clearly heading in the same direction.

"Oh, excuse me," she apologized politely.

"Sorry," he said, not sounding particularly sorry. "Hey Eloise, what are you doing here? Charlie's in Romania."

"Ronald, she knows that! Don't be so rude!" Molly exclaimed as they entered the room, hardly looking up from the stove where she was tending three pots and a kettle.