Chapter 1: Reaping Day

Jasmine Everdeen ^^^

I woke up early with Katniss to go hunting. I grabbed my small case of throwing knives and followed her out the door. Me and her walked in silence, hunting our kill. That's when we see it.

A deer. We havent seen one of those in a year! I grab a knife and get ready to throw when I heard Gale's voice behind us.

"Whag are you gonna do with that!" And with that there went our deer.

"What the hell is wrong with you!" I scream at him.

"What are you gonna do with that. Its reaping day, the whole place is filled with peacekeepers!" He scolded.

"We were gonna sell to them. Duh," I deadpanned.

"Are you crazy?" He asked in disbelief.

"You dont sell to the peacekeepers?" Katniss scoffed.

"Not today," he said, making a slightly good point.

"That was the first dear we have seen all year," I started.

"Now we have nothing," katniss finished.

"Oh really," gale said picking up and stone and throwing it causing birds to fly.

Katniss shoots and kill a bird. I let my knife loose and kill the other. We collect them and sit with Gale

"Happy hunger games!" Gale said bringing out bread.

"Oh my god is that real?" Katniss asked grabbing it.

"No, hes giving you fake bread dipshit," I told her grabbing a piece.

She rolled her eyes and continued eating.

"I'm gonna head back to check on prim. Bye lovebirds," I said grabbing the birds and heading out.

I snuck back through the market and stopped at an old womans books and looked through her pins. One stuck out though. A mockingjay.

"I love this one. How much maam?" I asked her ready to give a bird.

"Free. Its yours," she said hanging it to me.

"Thank you maam. Stay safe," I said, but not without plopping a bird.

I walked away before she could say anything and head home. I came home to prim who was ready for a panic attack.

"Prim. Dear your name is only in there once. I promise you wont go into the games," I said.

"What if they call my name?" She asked as tears filled her blue eyes.

"I promise you arent going into the games," I said and stuck the pin on her.

"Good luck charm. Now get ready before mom has a conniption fit," I said making her smile weakly.

I also went to my room to put on the nicest dress i could.