Chapter 9: tracker jacks

Thresh shook me awake suddenly.

"We have to go now!" I quickly got up and we packed out backpacks.

We ran through the woods hearing footsteps behind us. We stumbled into the career clearing.

"Theres someone or something after us," thresh pants.

"Guys. We have a sacrifice," Cato said drawing his sword to my jaw.

"Cato," I whimpered.

"What? Did you think I loved you! Foolish girl," he said cutting me slightly.

"Go. You have no place here. Clove," and with that a knife was in threshs heart.

"No!" I scream falling to his side.

"Jasmine, wake up," thresh said shaking me.

"Your alive!" I said hugging him.

"Bad dream?" He asked.

"You could say that," I said.

"Get some rest, thresh," I told him and got a nod in response.

I sat against a tree when I heard leaves crunching. I jumped up and drew my knife. I kicked thresh in the gut to wake him.

He groaned but got the message. He was up with his knife when the red haired girl from red entered.

"Dont kill me," she begged.

"Why shouldn't I?" I asked holding up my knife.

"I know where rue is. She is in danger," foxface said.

"Where. Over through that way. Theres a river, follow it to clearing. The careers are waiting her out," she said and took off.

"I'll go. I'm quicker and can climb. Get food while I'm gone," I told Thresh, earning a nod.

I ran off into the night, following the red haired girls advice. By the time I arrived it was morning. I saw she told the truth. I climbed into a tree next to rues.

"I'm gonna say you, okay?" I told her. She nodded thankfully.

I saw a tracker jacker nest near me. I didnt want to kill cato, or rue. I grabbed a branch and broke it into bits. Then I threw them down onto catos face.

He woke up and jumped up.

"Cato. Take clove and run," I whispered yelled.

"Jasmine, what are you going to do?" He asked.

"A really dumb ass move. Run!" I told him.

He woke up clove and they were gone.

"Rue climb through those trees," I told her and she did.

I grabbed out my knife and started cutting the nest. Rue needed a big enough distraction. One came out and stong.

"Son of a bitch," I mumbled and kept cutting.

One more stung me as I finally freed the nest. It fell to the ground with a thud. It woke marvel up and he left, without glimmer. Then my vision started to hillusinate.

"Jasmine, climb!" I heard catos distorted voice.

I thought I was climbing, but really I think it was falling. Where was the branch I was on?

Threshs pov

I had killed a bird. Me and jasmine would eat like royalty tonight. Then I heard a sound that made my heart drop. A cannon.

Was it her? Is jasmine coming back? Why did I let her go. I went back to our camp and started a fire. I had adrenaline pumping through my veins. Adrenaline caused by fear.

I cooked the bird so she could have meet when she returned. If she returned. After I finished cooking it I put out the fire and waited. Then waiting turned into pacing.

It been hours. Where is she? Is she dead? I heard footsteps and hope filled my body. The girl from ten stepped out.

I grabbed my sword and quickly killed her.

Boom!

It didnt effect. I was to worried. Night was falling. Where was she?

I had to wait for them to show who died today. Please dont let it be her.

Two people flashed across the night. The girl I killed and