Chapter 13

Two months later

Coming home from work I found Katie, Rose, and Erastus at my house. They probably used Laura's key to enter and here they were in my living room drinking wine like it's not weird at all. "Do I need to call 911 that there are intruders in my house or am I getting an explanation?" I asked in a joking way and all they did was look at each other and laugh. "We were just leaving. Laura let us in and we just wanted to have one of your wines since you don't drink anymore." Katie said while standing to leave. Of course, I stood in her way and told her no one is leaving until they tell me what they're doing in my house. I love my friends to death but they can be crazy. I know they were up to something, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

I stared at them and they returned the stare as if they were expecting me to say something. They put on their innocent faces as if they did something wrong and found themselves in the principal's office. I gave up because I know I won't get anything out of them by playing nice. I needed a plan.
I went to get juice from the fridge and joined them in the lounge. They started talking about Katie's wedding preparations, which was a month away like they weren't in my house for God knows why. I drank my juice growing more and more impatient by the second that I decided to get creative. "So, Rose, you and Erastus set the date yet?" I asked. "No. We have to go see my parents first, the following weekend.
After I told them about the engagement they wanted to see us, but there's no rush." she replied.

"Erastus, do I need to tell Rose something she doesn't know about you yet or are you going to tell me why the three of you are in my house?" I asked with a serious look. Rose sent a questioning glare towards Erastus and I smirked. "I can't," Erastus said. I flashed him a wicked smile but before I could utter another word, he said he would rather show me and led me upstairs. That was easier than I expected. I followed him to one of the guest rooms with Rose and Katie right behind me. Even though I had a questioning look on my face, I followed quietly. I don't even know how they know which rooms are the guest rooms, then I remembered that Laura was part of this. Whatever it is.

Katie covered my eyes with her hands, probably because she knew I would close my eyes if she told me to. The last time I was told to close my eyes and I did, it didn't end too well. It was back in high school, my 18th birthday when Erastus put a snake on my bed. He knew I was afraid of snakes but he still did it. I was so mad that I didn't talk to him for weeks. I didn't celebrate my birthday until I was 21 because of that day. He organized my 21st birthday and that was when I forgave him. That's why I hate surprises till today.

We entered the room, with her hands still covering my eyes. The suspense was killing me. "Guys, you know I hate surprises!" I protested. Rose immediately replied telling me that I will love this one. It wasn't entirely convincing but I had to trust them. She finally removed her hands, I couldn't believe my eyes. They have decorated the room into a nursery. Everything in the room was white and it was filled with many stuffed animals. By just looking around I could feel tears forming in my eyes and as much as I tried to hold them back, I failed to.

They hugged me one by one and I wiped away my tears. I have the best friends in the whole wide world. My mom and my siblings live in New York, so ever since I moved to California, Erastus, Katie, and Rose are the family I had here. They decided to leave, and after seeing them off I found myself crying again. They did something Evan and I were supposed to do together, but I am happy they did. I barely see Evan and honestly, I could care less. I went to bed happy and grateful for the friends I have. Sometimes I ask myself how I got so lucky to have them for friends. I couldn't be more grateful for them.

The following day, I came from work and found Suzanne's car parked outside our house. The engine was still rolling and she was inside. I paid no attention to her and headed inside. Trust me when I tell you that I experience disrespect every day of my life. I got to the lounge and I could hear arguments coming from upstairs. It was Laura and her father and I am not surprised. I am used to being on the receiving end of Laura's tantrums and complaints but it looks like she is giving some to her father as well. I put my bag down and I saw Evan coming downstairs buttoning up his shirt and saying, "I already told you that I will be busy tomorrow, why don't you ask your mother? "