Chapter 32

It has now been six months after taking over the company and it hasn't been easy. A lot of people men thought they were passed over, and a lot of women are supportive. I remember the day it was announced at the Ball, a lot of people's faces changed and they never treated me or spoke to me in the same way again. I have to admit it's a lot of work, not only am I attending board meetings here, I have conference calls with Capricorn London as well.

Did I mention the part where my friend signed the divorce papers like it was nothing and now he goes to work and comes back heading straight to his room and it has been repeating for six months? I didn't even try to say anything because it will not make any difference so I let him wallow in his room. I went to Jason's club a week after since I missed the official opening and to my surprise, I met Rose there too.

FLASHBACK

"Liz, you are here." She started.

"Yes, I am here," I said uninterested in talking but very interested in punching her face.

"Oh my, does that mean he is here too?" she asked.

"Of course not. I doubt he will be going anywhere soon after what you did to him." I said.

"Look, I did what I thought was best for everyone. I mean you also filed for divorce before, so if someone is to understand me, it has to be you," she said defensively.

"Oh, I understand you just fine, but I have to disagree with you there. You didn't do what was best for everyone, you did what was best for you. Like his feelings be damned. Plus as far as my divorce is concerned, Evan messed up, it's only fair I did that. I can't say the same about you though." I told her.

"You wouldn't understand since you are not in my shoes. Erastus never loved me, he just believed he did," she said.

"Do you even realize how pathetic you sound right now? If he didn't love you he would be here right now instead of wallowing in his room in which he locked himself in ever since you told him about the divorce. If that's not loving, then I don't know what your definition is. I mean, you kind of filed for divorce because you love someone else, correct?" I burst out in anger.

"I swear I never intended to hurt him–"

– but you still did!" I interrupted her.

"Look, I didn't mean to. For months I tried to be a pain and make him hate me, but he didn't or he couldn't. Yes, I am a bad person because I knew I couldn't have kids all along and I used that to my advantage, but I couldn't be stuck in a marriage I didn't want to be in plus I didn't want that for him either. My plan didn't work well though, so when I saw you back, I used that to my advantage. I am sorry Liz." She said with tears in her eyes.

"So all of us were just pawns in your big brilliant plan? You said you did what was best for everyone, but why are you the only person gaining from this plan of yours? You said you didn't intend to hurt him but why didn't you tell him the truth yourself. It crushed him when he had to find that out himself. So please save the apology, because it is not going to cut it this time." I told her.

"How did you find out?" she asked.

"Erastus' lawyer Jackson Brown happens to have a hobby for snooping, so it did not take him a day to make a shocking discovery," I told her.

"Does that mean he knows too?" she asked realization dawning on her face.

"Affirmative. He knew the truth before you even sent the divorce papers but he still signed them anyway, because he just wants you to be happy. He is selfless, which is something I can't say about you.
I am trying not to be furious with you, but I can't. You broke my best friend's heart. Do you know what he told me the day you told him you were filing for divorce? That everyone he ever loved ends up leaving him, from his sister to his parents and now you. You didn't end there though and I am soo mad that the house you and your lover bought in New York just happens to be his childhood home. How low can you go, Rose? What are you trying to do exactly? Mock him? Humiliate him? I don't think he has ever done anything bad to deserve any of this." I told her.