Prologue

The Great Hall was silent. Silent except for the pitter patter of quick feet on marble tile, drawing closer by the second. A moment later, a messenger burst through the golden doors, scroll clutched firmly in hand.

Passing the guards on both sides who all stood as still as stone, he ran towards the Great Throne at the far end of the hall, not pausing once to catch his breath. Once there, he knelt only for a brief moment before turning to face the man on the throne.

"My King, here is a new message from Commander Bogum at the Eastern border. He said that it was of the utmost importance."

His leader gestured for him to read it, and the messenger wasted no time in untying the scroll and reading the message etched deeply with ink.

"My King,

The Shadow Valley clan is attacking our Eastern borders near the Castle of Baskinshire. Please send soldiers at once to defend our territory. We will be able to hold them off for one week, but after that is any man's game.

Your loyal Commander,

Park Bogum"

Folding the scroll once more, the messenger looked up with frantic eyes. His King, half hidden in shadow, bared his teeth, revealing sharp white fangs.

"How dare they try and invade, especially after the latest peace treaty was signed! If Lucius thinks that I'll let this injustice pass, he is greatly mistaken. I will make them regret this action with every drop of blood in their body. Yoongi!" Turning his head sharply, the King nodded at one of the soldiers, who immediately saluted. "Take four troops and go investigate the Eastern border. Try to avoid bloodshed, but if it comes down to it, do not hold back. Show them what happens when they try to mess with our clan."

The soldier nodded, immediately running towards the door, with five to six soldiers on his heels. The King leaned back in his throne, eyes flashing dangerously. His face was hidden by shadow, but the messenger could make out the hard lines on the face of his leader, showing that he was less than pleased with the new development.

He decided it was now or never to voice his concerns.

"Sire, you must choose a queen before the new moon." The messenger's voice was laced with worry. "Otherwise, who knows what your rivals will do? A King without a Queen is incomplete, you and I both know that sire."

The man sitting on the huge obsidian throne massaged his temples, emitting a long sigh. "How many times must I tell you Hoseok? I will not choose a Queen until my soulmate shows themselves before me. No matter how many moons that may take, I will wait. The only person I want to rule beside me will be the person I am destined to be with, and no one else will take their place. That is final." The King's voice was deep and commanding, and Hoseok could not resist. Bowing deeply, he nodded.

"Very well my King. If that is your will, I will not force you to choose so early. I just hope that you do understand the consequences that will arise from this decision." Hesitating, Hoseok added, "But if my friendship means anything to you, please promise me that you will choose your Queen in the next 100 years. Your enemies can only wait for so long."

The man stiffened, not liking the idea one bit. But what could he do? He knew that sooner or later his enemies would attack in their masses. And then, without a Queen to rule by his side, he would be weakened by their power. His clan would be destroyed, and he could not let that happen.

Slowly nodding, he turned back to the messenger. "Yes, I will promise you. If I cannot find my Queen in another century, I will give up the search and settle down with whoever I see fit." Smiling sadly, the King gazed at his old friend. "It sometimes seems like they will never appear, Hoseok. I've been waiting more than 200 years, and have searched every place where vampires live, even the smallest clans. They're nowhere. I can't understand it."

"What about the human world?" Hoseok ventured to ask, seeing surprise flicker across the King's eyes. "It's a possibility. There have been vampires in the past who found their soulmate in humans. It is a very rare occurrence, but not impossible. Though I do suppose for a man of your power, the chances are even slimmer," he added, not wanting to lead his leader towards false hope. "But I think it's worth a try."

His King nodded, a look of deep thought in his eyes. "Thank you Hoseok. I never thought of exploring the human world. But to think my soulmate could be human." A look of amusement glinted in his black orbs. "This is certainly something I would have never imagined. I will look into this new idea. Meanwhile, could you please dictate a letter to Commander Bogum saying that I have sent more troops towards the border?"

The messenger nodded. "Of course. I will go and do that right now." He turned to walk out of the hall, then paused. Turning back, he smiled at the King, who was staring into nothing. "Don't think too much about it Taehyung. Your soulmate will come in their own time, and you will find them, I promise."

The man, Taehyung, smiled, this time a genuine smile full of happiness. "I hope so too Hoseok. I hope so too."