Chapter 10

Hi :)

X: Taehyung 

"And I'm happy I can make you so happy."

The words stunned me a bit, since I was sure that Jungkook hated being here. Being with me. But when he looked at me, his brown eyes were soft and inviting, with no trace of hatred or bitterness. I smiled, leaning down to kiss the top of his head. He tried to squirm away but I held him tight, so he just laughed and let me. But before I showered him with affection, I needed to know something. Something important.

"Jungkook, I need you to answer my question honestly," I waited until he looked at me. "Are you afraid of me? Do you think I'm a monster?" I asked, watching his face for any reaction. Truthfully, I was a bit scared to hear his answer. He hesitated for a moment before speaking.

"It's true that I was afraid of you when we first met. I couldn't understand how a human like me was fated to be with a vampire king. You had so much power and control and everyone seemed scared of you. It also didn't help that your eyes had basically miniature flames burning in them." He giggled, and I smiled. "But... you're nicer than I ever imagined. You treat me well and even love me, and you haven't tried to kill me. When Yoongi accidentally threatened me in the kitchen, you were there to protect me and make me feel safe. I'm not afraid of you anymore, just... cautious, I guess. Also, you're not a monster. True, I didn't know you when you were heartbroken and killing people, but I don't think that's you anymore. Remember, you saved me from dying in the throne room. I trust you."

Hearing his words, I felt a foreign feeling in my non-beating heart. I hadn't felt this feeling in centuries after my parents died. It felt warm and fuzzy, almost like my heart was wrapped in cotton. I hugged Jungkook tighter to my chest, bringing my wings up to protectively cover him. He laughed, reaching out a hand to try and touch my wings. I let him, rubbing the feathers against his cheek affectionately.

"Thank you," I whispered. "No one has ever told me that before."

He didn't respond, but I could feel him smiling against my feathers. We stayed in that position for about 2 minutes before Jungkook broke the silence.

"Taehyung? Can I ask you a question?" I hummed in response.

"Where does that door lead to? The door in the kitchen I mean."

I stiffened. I knew that he would become curious about it sooner or later, but this was sooner than I had hoped for.

"I'll take you with me one day, my love," I promised, caressing his hair. "Right now is too dangerous."

"But why?" He asked, turning around to stare at me. "Why is it so dangerous?"

I looked at him. His face was confused and his eyes were wanting answers. So innocent. He probably had never experienced war, carnage, pain where it felt like your heart was ripped from your chest and pulverized. I didn't want him to ever have to feel that. Part of me just wanted to tuck him in a box and preserve his innocence forever. But I couldn't do that. The best I could do for him was a compromise.

"I can tell you how the door works, but you must promise me never to go in, do you understand? Especially not by yourself." He hesitated for a second, before nodding. "I promise."

"Good." I sighed, wondering where to start.

"The door is almost like a four-way portal," I said. "It leads to four different places, depending on where you want to go. Do you remember the pinwheel next to it? Well, that's kind of like the direction steerer. The red leads to any place in the vampire kingdom, the yellow leads to the human world, the green leads to my childhood home, and the black... " I looked into his eyes, making sure he was paying attention. "The black is the most dangerous of them all. If there is one door you shouldn't go into, it's the black. It leads to the shadow realm; the place most infected with death and monsters. And when I say monsters, I mean shadow spirits. Specters. They feed off the life force of the living, and can take any shape or form. The place switches from time to time, because the door seeks out the place most littered with death and destruction. Trust me, you don't want to go in."