Chapter 31

Soft snores fill the room, Lois lying like a plank on top of a cot that she'd pulled out from below the one Sera laid on.

Her son laid wrapped up by her in her embrace, spooning each other. He still slept like he used to sleep as a newly born infant she watched over. Small hands curled in the fists, body in fetal position. Once in a while as he slept, he would turn back and facing her, rub his face into her chest, and smile. He would be happy. This was the first time he'd slept in his mother's embrace, or in the embrace of anyone for that matter. One maid stayed with him until he fell asleep in the cottage, but a few times he would wake to a dark and empty bedroom. Alone. His Mama smelled so nice and so soft. She was beautiful and kind, just like Bea said.

Sera couldn't sleep. Her eyes would blink up at the dark ceiling, faintly lit by one lamp Lois kept burning be her side. The muted red glow reminds her of Lucien.

Carefully sliding out of bed as to not disturb her son's sleep, she borrows the lamp and slips out the door. Lois would know with the lamp gone that she'd gone to the bathroom.

The moonlight is her only companion, beams that fall in through the high windows in the West wing. No torches are lit here, so only the silver light guides her way, down the hallway as she takes a walk, down further more to the deserted bathroom. The West Wing is mainly used for banquets and balls, hence the many storage and meeting rooms. It also holds the enormous ballroom, gold-wreathed glass doors reflecting Sera's lonely figure and her lamp back at her. The doors call at her, drawing her into the room which lays empty. However, its splendor isn't in the furnishings. The room needs no furnishings when its very walls and enormity display grandeur. The great crystal chandelier winks at her from the ceiling, spanning the size of 4 horses lined up next to each other. Thick red curtains line large windows, held up with glittering gold rope. The wide ceiling looked alive, painted with fantastical creatures and magical beings, centaurs galloping across while water nymphs play with small silver fish.

Sera's steps echo as she moves forward to the center of the wide room. Setting her lamp down on the ground, and taking in the wondrous vision all about her, she begins to sway her body to an invisible melody. Just one dance, where she can forget about the troubles weighing on her. Humming a waltz in a low voice, she beautifully curtseys to her imaginary partner. She holds up one side of her skirt, like Lucien taught her a long, long time ago.....and dances, slowly circling around the room. Her eyes are closed, humming the deep tones of the enchanting melody. She can imagine the ballroom filled with the press of people, other couples circling around her and her invisible partner.

On her second journey around the room, a large arm fits itself around her slim waist and her outstretched hand is clasped by warm fingers.

Without opening her eyes, she knows it's him.

Wordlessly, they dance, bodies moving in sync to the rhythm that Sera hums out.

They dance as one, her softness against his hardness.

Lucien stoops low, Sera's heart skipping a nervous beat, and he whispers, "Are you sure you should be dancing right now?"

Her eyes still closed, she smiles dreamily.

"Shhhh-. This is just a dream. A wonderful dream"

She didn't want to open her eyes just yet. Just a little bit more.

He pulls her by the waist, closer to him. She breaks off from humming, sucking in a breath when he sends feather-light touches of his lips down Sera's neck. His large hands confidently stroke down the sides of her body.

Sera groans "Haahhh.........no....."

"Keep dancing....."

His gentle fingers stroke down her chest, across the flesh that pebbles under his touch. Sera can feel the deepest parts of her clench, remembering what it was like when he was inside her.