Chapter 3

The dwarves saddled up and prepared to leave at first light, leaving the hobbit behind. Thraya tucked her cloak in her pack and adjusted her quiver on her waist. She gathered her loose hair along with the silver-clasped braids and tied it at the nape of her neck with a leather strap. Just as she was about to mount the pony, Thorin got her attention.

"Mizimith," (young jewel)

"Yes, Adad?"

He wrapped her in a quick hug. "I want you to stick close to me or your cousins."

"I don't think any of your company is going to give me a hard time," she giggled.

"Well, that's not the only thing. Those boys are very able fighters. Not that you aren't, but I'd feel better knowing you have them watching your back when I'm not."

"Oh please. Those irresponsible children need my watchful eye more than I need theirs."

Thorin chuckled and planted a kiss on her forehead. "Well, then my nephews will be safe with you and you will be safe with them."

"And we'll be watching your back too. So you'll be safe too."

She swung gracefully up onto her horse. Her movements were always graceful and fluid, frequent reminders that she was indeed an elf. So much of her talent, Thorin could lay no claim to teaching her. He was immensely proud of everything she had accomplished with his help and almost envious of the talents she had been born to.

The party set off before the sun was fully above the horizon. Thraya rode near the brothers. Their laughter and good spirits were brightening the entire company.

"So, namad, fancy a wager?" Fili asked.

"Why is everything a game to you?" she asked, half exasperated, half amused.

"That would be Kili you're thinking of," Fili pointed out.

"True," Kili said. "But this is more than a mere game. It is a genuine question."

"Mr. Baggins," Fili clarified. "Do you think he'll show?"

Thraya shrugged. "I doubt it. He didn't seem like much to me. Poor little flustered halfling. And you lot of dwarves weren't exactly welcoming."

"Oh, I think he'll come," Fili chuckled. "Gandalf isn't one to waste time. How about...ten coins says he will arrive. Why else is Gandalf keeping our pace so slow?"

"That is a wager I won't take," Thraya said flatly. "I don't carry money with me. And while I'm not sure Bilbo will show, I'm not confident enough that he won't. Find someone more immature to waste your money on."

Kili chuckled. "She does have a point, nadad."

"Fili," Thraya said thoughtfully after a moment. "You called me namad."

"That I did."

"So regardless of the fact that we haven't seen each other since we were mere children, I am a sister to you?"

"That you are. Always have been, always will be."

She heaved a dramatic sigh. "Well, that's unfortunate since I have been madly and hopelessly in love with you since the day we met..."

Kili choked and Fili nearly fell off his horse. His face was heavily flushed. "You...what?!?"

Thraya laughed. "No! Of course not, silly! You have always been my brother. No, it's Kili I'm actually in love with."

Kili actually fell off his pony, much to the amusement of the whole party. Thorin looked back and locked eyes with Thraya who winked.

Kili scrambled back onto the pony but his face was a brighter red than Fili's.

"Thraya..." he whispered, completely and utterly mortified. "Please tell me you were joking..."

Thraya turned her head in an exaggeratedly slow fashion, fixing Kili with a 'really?' look. "Are you really that thick? Of course, I was joking. You are my brother. And I'm still a child by elvish standards. You've reached adulthood."

Her ears caught the vaguest trace of a familiar voice. A few moments later, it was clearly distinguishable to her elven senses.

"Wait! WAIT!"

Bilbo.

None of the dwarves had caught wind of him yet.

"Kili," Thraya said with a smirk. "I hope you didn't accept your brother's bet."

"Um...I did. Why?"

"WAIT!" This time the dwarves heard him too.

"There's your answer," she chortled.

The company stopped and turned. Sure enough, the little hobbit was racing towards them at top speed, waving the contract wildly in the air.

"I signed it!" he said proudly, presenting the contract to Balin who inspected it.

"Everything appears to be in order. Welcome, master Baggins, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield!"

"Give him a pony," Thorin ordered.

Bilbo looked positively alarmed at the prospect. "No, no, no, no. That...that won't be necessary. Thank you. I'm sure I can keep up on foot. Yeah, I...I've done my fair share of walking holidays, you know? Even got as far as Frog Morton once."

Fili and Kili shared a mischievous look before swooping towards the poor hobbit, grabbing a hold of his arms and placing him on a pony. The poor hobbit had no idea what he was doing and sat rather uncomfortably atop Myrtle.

"Come on, Nori! Pay up!" Oin called. Apparently, Fili's idea had been quite popular. The dwarves started cashing in their wagers.

"What's that about?" Bilbo asked Gandalf.

"Oh, they took wagers on whether or not you'd turn up. Most of them bet that you wouldn't."

"And what did you think?"

"Well..." Gandalf caught a small pouch of coins. "My dear fellow, I never doubted you for a second."

"I told you it wasn't a good idea," Thraya snickered at Kili's irked face.

"Oh, shut it, will you?" the younger brother scowled.

Thraya just shrugged.

"She may drop it," Fili said. "But I never will."

"Why you little..."

Kili's threat was cut off by a loud exclamation from Bilbo.

"Uh...wait, wait. Stop! Stop! We have to turn around!"

"What on earth is the matter?" Gandalf demanded, slightly exasperated.

"I forgot my handkerchief!"

Thraya snorted. "Handkerchief? Really?"

"Here! Use this!" Bofur called with his helpful air, tossing a grimy piece of his tunic to Bilbo who looked absolutely disgusted.

Thorin rolled his eyes and ordered the party to move on.

Mizimith: Little Jewel

Adad: Father

Namad: Sister

Nadad: Brother