Chapter 5

The next day was fraught with rain. Thraya rode by Thorin's side, knowing he would want her comforting presence after all that was said the night before.

"They're all in rather high spirits," she said. "Or they were until the rain. They have much more hope and faith in the quest after hearing of your victory at Moria. Before, the quest was a fool's dream. Childishly hopeful. Now, the victory seems imminent."

"But it's not. There's still a dragon."

"Possibly. Possibly not. He could have fallen asleep and died of old age. Or perhaps he accidentally knocked the ceiling down on himself. Or he laid down on a weapon that was pointing the wrong way. Maybe he suffocated. Maybe he starved. The dragon could be dead."

Thorin chuckled. "Your sweet optimism is encouraging, Mizimith. I wish I could share in it."

Thraya shrugged. "Well, I would say I'm only cautiously optimistic. There's a good chance the dragon is still there. But he could very well be so soundly asleep that he shall never wake again. We will kill it in its slumber."

Thorin looked at her with a bright smile. His daughter was such a beautiful and kind girl. How had he raised such an angel? Even with her hair wet and straggling around her face, her bright green eyes danced with perpetual merriment. Her dark green hood was a wonderful color against her dirty blonde hair.

He was so proud of the wonderful young woman she was growing into.

"Oy! Thraya!" Kili called.

Thraya glanced back quickly and smirked. "I'll be back with those idiots." She slowed her horse, allowing most of the company to pass her until the brothers caught up with her.

"Is something the matter?" she asked, her face full of dramatic concern.

"Oh, don't get all motherly on us," Fili groaned. "One mother is enough."

"But she isn't here," Thraya pointed out. "And Aunt Dis would not be happy with me if I let you go un-worried over."

"Oh, come now, Amralime," (my love) Kili teased. "You know perfectly well you're only trying to annoy us."

"That is true. And please don't call me that. That's just weird."

"Well, you see, I was just returning the favor. You annoyed us, so someone has to share the annoyance with you. It's only fair."

Fili let out a low chuckle. "This is going to be one long journey if the two of you continue on like this."

Thraya laughed. "Well, it looks like you are in for a tedious journey. But it will be fun for us."

"We'll see," Kili said, with a wink. "I haven't completely given up hope. You're going to fall for me at some point, Thraya. Just you wait."

Thraya laughed loudly. "If I didn't know you were joking, I would knock you off your high horse right now."

"Whatever you say..." Kili said vaguely.

Thraya peeked over her shoulder, rolled her eyes, and muttered under her breath. "Idiots."

"What?" Fili protested. "No, it's just Kili. I'm being perfectly sane right here."

She let out a laugh. "Well, Kili's always an idiot, but right now I was referring to the fools back there who tried to ask Gandalf to control the weather. We have a wizard with us. Not the freaking Valar."

Thraya never minded the rain. It was only slightly irksome in cold weather. But now with the fading warmth of summer, it was lovely. The dwarves could complain all they wanted, but the rain brought fresher air with it. And as the water fell, it cleansed the air of dust and dirt. Much to the brothers' amusement, Thraya tossed her head back, allowing the water to flow over her face. Unlike the rest of the party, she was actually disappointed when the rain stopped.