Chapter 9

Dinner was, in short, a disaster. Thorin was tense the entire time and although Thraya's natural reaction to the elven realm was that of relaxation, she was unable to enjoy it on account of her dwarven upbringing. When Elrond began inquiring as to the nature of their quest, her instincts told her to trust him, but Thorin got up and left. Thraya followed after him but could vaguely hear the absolute chaos her companions had begun to wreak on the dining hall.

"Absolutely no respect," she muttered. "We're travelling with children."

"Technically, mizimith, you're the only child on the quest," Thorin said, his tone betraying traces of his uneasiness. "But what are they doing right now?"

"Singing music that only belongs in a tavern, and throwing food around, by the sound of it."

Thorin let out a small chuckle. "I suppose they are children."

"Oh, you suppose," Thraya quipped.

He laughed more openly. "I'm extremely grateful for you nathith. This entire ordeal is...wearing. But it's easier with you by my side."

Thraya smiled at the floor. "I owe you my life, adad. Not only did you raise me, if you hadn't taken in my mother, I might have never been born."

Thorin wrapped his daughter in a tight hug. "Let's not talk about such things. I don't want to think about what life would be like without you."

Thraya had never been more comfortable than in that moment. You don't notice how tense you've been until you relax and after so long of living on the edge, the breath of fresh air is so much more exhilarating.

"Ah there you are," a voice said. Thraya instantly pulled away from Thorin and drew her knives.

Elrond held up his hands. "I'm sorry, I did not mean to startle you."

Thraya released a puff of air and sheathed her weapons. Thorin chuckled in proud amusement.

"I am sorry to interrupt," the Elf-Lord continued. "But I did wish to learn more about what became of Tahra."

Thorin and Thraya exchanged a quick look and the young elleth shrugged.

"Thranduil disowned her," Thorin said bluntly. "She had secretly married someone below her so-called station and when he discovered she was with child, he killed her husband in front of her and banished her. He did not know they were married and did not bother to find out. I found her afraid and alone in Greenwood. I took her in and cared for her as if she were another sister. She sadly did not survive long after Thraya's birth. I promised her I would care for her daughter. Thraya has been my greatest blessing." His tone was carefully measured and even. Only because she knew him so well could Thraya distinguish the attempt to keep tears at bay.

Elrond bowed his head in sorrow. "This is tragic news," he said softly. "Tahra was dear to my family. I must thank you, Thorin. You helped her when I could not."

"There is no need to thank me," Thorin said, his tone slightly gruff.

"Why did you do it?" Elrond asked. "You detest elves, especially those of the Woodland Realm."

Thorin tilted his head to the side, glaring upwards at Elrond. "I do not have to answer to you," he growled.

"No you don't," Elrond agreed. "I am sorry to bring up what must be painful memories." He called something in elvish and an ellon, Thraya remembered his name as Lindir, appeared. "Please see that our guests are comfortable for the night," Elrond said kindly. He turned back to the dwarf king. "I cannot atone for the betrayal you suffered at the hands of our Woodland kin. But I will assure you that not all elves are the same. I hope you can find trust in me and my people. Good night." He offered them a small bow and then swept out of the room.

In a Father's EmbraceOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara