Part 28

The next time I woke I was back in a soft bed. My head was pounding and my body ached but I pushed the pain aside and forced myself to sit up. There was an IV in one arm and my other was strapped against me with a dark blue sling. I recognized the pale blue room as my own despite the added medical equipment. I couldn't recall how I'd gotten here but more importantly I didn't know if Silas was here.

Carefully and methodically I began removing the sensors and even the iv. I unplugged the machines so that none of their alarms would go off and then I headed out in search of answers.

It took me a couple minutes to ease my way down the stairs. If I moved to quickly or stepped down to hard my shoulder would zap me with a jolt of pain.

I could hear voices as I reached the bottom steps and I paused to listen.

"With the extent of the injuries and the number of men you've already lost from these attacks there is no way for Willow Pack to protect it's self on it's own. We have to move people in to ensure the safety of your pack members and to hold the territory." I recognized Logan's betas voice without having to see Zak's face.

"Moving in on Willow territory is a global announcement that we are vulnerable. It's an advertisement for free territory. There's no way you have enough men to defend both territories." Adam shot back with just as much heat and frustration as Zak was presenting to him.

"This is not up to you." Logan's hard voice interrupted.

"He's right it's Silas' decision." Adam agreed.

"He cannot do this right now. His mate's unconscious and his daughter is missing. He has other priorities. You can't just lean on him for every damn thing." Zak seethed.

"This decision isn't mine." The deep soothing tone of Silas voice brought on a wave of relief so intense that my knees felt weak. "I renounced my title before leaving my post. Willow pack is not mine."

"Aaron's in a coma. How the hell are we supposed to ask him what he wants to do?!" Adam demanded.

"He is not referring to Aaron. An alpha is not the only leader of a pack. You should know that after the perfectly executed raid your luna just executed." Logan said. I could picture him rolling his eyes and it made me want to roll mine as well. He could be such an ass.

"Don't you dare put this on me." Emily whispered.

"Em..." Silas tried.

"No!" She yelled. "Don't you dare! You don't get to just up and leave every time things get to hard. And what about Rylan?! You're just going to disappear again? Leave her unconscious without even caring if she wakes up, AGAIN?"

"Emily." Silas said shocked.

"He can't just sit here while Devlin has their daughter. He was never meant to be an Alpha and everyone knows that." Zak said.

"I'm not talking about being an Alpha. I'm talking about being a decent mate. She's already been through hell because of a shitty mate. She doesn't need a second." Emily growled.

My eyes widened in shock. I couldn't believe she was saying something like that to Silas.

"NO. She has only ever had ONE mate. That piece of shit would never in million years count." Silas growled back.

"Why?" Emily demanded. "Because he hurt her? News flash Silas you put her through days of actual torture before Aaron realized the connection was killing her. It's no wonder she couldn't stay conscious for more than a few damn seconds."

"I didn't know the connection would form so quickly. Our bonds not even sealed." Silas said sounding defeated.

"Yeah well it serves you right! Maybe now you won't be so quick to sacrifice yourself knowing it means sacrificing her to." Emily seethed.