Picking Daisies

Everything hurt.
  Well, maybe not everything. His fingers didn't hurt. It was mostly his chest, his head, and especially his chest. America inhaled raggedly, feeling the tightness of his own skin stopping him. Those stupid cracks.
  "I didn't do anything."
  "Well you came out of him."
  "So what?"
  He groaned, wanting Cali and that other voice to stop talking. For the first time in a while he wanted to sleep. Sleep sounds nice. Right Dixie?
  Dixie?
  Then it all came back. Pain. Fire from the inside.
  Dixie had been torn out of his head.
No no no no-
  "Its 'right paps." A smooth voice said, and he felt a hand in his forehead.
  America let out another soft whimper. "Is everyone alright?"
  "Dunno," A familiar gruff voice said. "'M all tied up."
  "Dixie?" he croaked, peeking his eyes open.
  He looked like he had just tumbled out of the 1800s- his red-blue hair was short but messy, and he had an impressive grizzly beard. He almost looked entirely the same. But his eyes weren't those of the vicious killing machine America had met on the battlefield so many times. They were almost kind.
  Maybe America had passed out a little too hard.
  "Why are you tied to a kitchen chair with a jump rope?" America asked, as he pushed himself up into a sitting position with the help of Texas. He winced as the light from the kitchen hit his eyes, and a jolt of pain shot through his heart.
   "That's your first question!?" California snapped as America, who realized the lack of clothes he had, and adjusted the blanket around himself. "You mind explaining what the Confederacy is doing back!"
  "I a'int the dam- er, darn Confederacy," Dixie started, "I'm a battle flag."
  In one smooth motion, he stood up, dangling the jump rope between his fingers. "You need to work on your rope tying kid."
  Everyone looked at Hawaii. "What?!" she squeaked. "I was in a hurry!"
  Dixie strode over to where America was laying (no one wanting to get in his way), adjusting the blanket he had around his waist so he could walk better. He locked eyes with Texas before he knelt down next to the country.
  "Do you known what's happening?"
  America sighed. "I honestly have no idea." He grunted as he moved again, resting his head back. "All I know is one minute you were in my head, the next you were gone."
  "He was in your head?" New York growled from the corner. "And you didn't tell us?!"
  "Oh, why would he tell you?" Dixie snapped. "And what would he say anyways? 'Oh hey you guys remember Dixie? Remember all the pain and death your people? Well guess what! He's alive!'"
  "Dixie-" America started.
  "I'm tired of listening to y'all walkin' all over yer dad." Dixie rambled on. "It's about time you actually listened to him for a change- "
  "Dixie-"
  "Believe it or not he actually has your best interests at heart!"
  "Dixie!"
  The Confederate stood up and spun around to face him. "What?"
  "Are you... defending me?"
  The silence of the room was deafening.
  Dixie blinked. Then slowly sat down at the opposite end of the couch. "I, uh," The battle flag swallowed. "I... guess sorta, I am."
  America mustered up a small smile. Dixie looked away.
  "It doesn't matter." California folded her arms across her chest.
  Dixie snorted, rolled his eyes.
  "Dixie, play nice." America mustered, trying not to laugh. "All of us are exhausted. Let's talk about this in the morning."
  "Fine." she snarled. "But keep that thing away from me." And with that Cali spun on her heels and marched up the stairs.
She's even more annoying when she's talking directly at you.
  What?
  America's head shot up, and him and Dixie locked eyes.
Did you just-
What the-
  "Are you guys ok?" Georgia said.
  "What?" America blurted.
You think we can talk like this? Dixie's thoughts bounced around in his head. "Might be a side effect," Dixie scratched his chin. "Guess it kinda makes sense."
  "Huh?" Alabama asked.
  "Looks like we can communicate telepathically." America frowned. "Nothing really out of the ordinary for us."
  "That's so cool!".
  "How far does it go? Is it like a radio signal?"
  "Could you guys do that before?!"
  "Cali's gonna be so mad!"
  "Wait!" Nevada hopped over the couch. "Can I try?"
  "I don't think it works that way." America tilted his head. "But why not."
What's he talking about? Dixie's thoughts were crystal clear, no longer muffled.
  He's gonna try to read your mind. Or mine. Or both.
I thought his mind reading didn't work on you.
  It probably doesn't. Just checking.
  "Ugh." Nevada slumped down next to Dixie. "Still nothing."
  "Really?" Georgia said. "Not even on Dixie?"
  "I didn't feel anything." Dixieland said. "And your supposed to feel something, right?"
  Nevada sighed. "Ya. But at least I can still be entertained with Delaware's crush on Hong Kong."
  The States burst out with shrieks of laughter as Delaware tackled Nevada to the ground, red faced, and the two brothers began to wrestled each other. Pennsylvania grabbed Delaware around the waist and hoisted him off of the mind reading state, while the first state shouted, "Let me at 'em! Let me at 'em!"
  "Off to bed all of you." America grabbed the side of the couch and hoisted himself up, trying to suppress his laughter. He grabbed Texas' arm to steady himself. "I'm exhausted and this has been one heck of a night."
  But they weren't listening. They were all looking at him weird.
  "States?" America tried, confused.
  "Dad," New Jersey said, taking a step back. "What's wrong with you chest?"