Rock Bottom

April 9th, 1865

When the bayonet hit his chest, he didn't expect it to hurt that much. He got stabbed all the time, he would just play dead for a while and wait for the stab wound to heal up. It usually didn't take long.
But this was different.
America had his shot and he took it. But the battle flag saw the surprise on the countries face as he let out a screech of pain. And then that's all there was, as he drifted into a dark abyss and the pain began to dull...
And then he was here. Stuck in America's head.
I hate this.
So you've told me. Many times, might I add.
They- er, America was sitting at his desk, organizing his pens and papers, and the battle flag was as bored as you can get. It was late in the night, and General Lee had surrendered. He noted how fast America could change from warrior to business man.
But he had bigger problems now.
This is borin'.
Well, at least you don't have a- a... What's your name?
He felt stunned. Hm?
Your name. What is it? I can't insult you properly without it.
He stifled a laugh, hating how much he enjoyed the country's humor. I don't really have a name. I'm just the battle flag.
America was rather silent. You don't have a name?
No.
Well... America paused. I'm gonna call you Dixie. Battle flag's too long.
I'm not some pet you can just name.
Well, too bad Dixie. I have a feeling we're gonna be stuck together for a while.

Present

He didn't know what to do. He didn't like emotions. They fogged things up, made him second guess himself. You can't feel emotions on the battle field, or during a meeting.
He didn't know how to comfort America. He didn't. The only thing he could do was sit and cry with him. So when the two had calmed down Dixie didn't know what to say. He had seen America cry before, but he usually just stayed silent and let him be.
They were sitting at the dining hall's table, sunlight streaming through the windows. The light flickered across the table as the wind drifted through the trees, ruffling up the leaves.
"Sorry. I don' know how to deal with feelin's." Dixie was looking down, picking at a sticky spot on the table.
America chuckled, whipping a tear away with the palm of his hand. "Sorry you had to see me like this."
Dixie shrugged. "This isn't the first time I've seen you like this. And I know what comes next."
The country sighed. "Then what comes next?"
Dixie stood up and turned around to face him. "You step away from everything that makes the humans love you. You become a monster, like me."
"Maybe I want to be a monster." America looked up at his brother, and Dixie was a bit shocked at how fast he could hide his emotions. His eyes were a bit puffy but other than that there was no sign of the sadness that plagued the country's mind.
"Well, you can't control everythin'. That's how the world works." Dixie looked away from America's face. "Ya couldn't do it then, ya can't do it now."
America frowned and laid his head down on the table. "What are we going to do."
Dixie let out a soft sigh. "I don' know."
By the Dixie finally coaxed America to go take a nap, it was around noon and he could tell that the states were restless. They seemed rather fidgety.
"Why don' y'all go outside?"
Arkansas looked up at Dixie with wide eyes. "Will pap come out with us?"
"America is restin' right now." The battle flag said awkwardly, adjusting the bandage around one of his wrists. "He has a lot on his mind."
Once again the day was uneventful. America wanted to be left alone and seemed annoyed when Dixie checked on him via mind link.
Do you want something to eat? You haven't had lunch yet.
I'm not hungry.
Dixie sighed out loud. Well yo' still need to eat.
America didn't answer.
Dixie frowned. America could push him away all he'd like. But he wasn't going anywhere.
So he decided to bring him a ham sandwich. It wasn't much, but Dixie would shove it down his throat if he had to. So up the stairs he went, holding a plastic green plate with a simple ham sandwich. He knocked on the door then pushed it open. As expected, America was curled up under a pile of blankets on his bed, sulking.
"I told you I wasn't hungry." The mound of blankets shifted as the country rolled away from Dixie, his back now facing him.
"Surprise, surprise. I don't care." Dixie set the plate on the coffee table. "Now come down and eat. Don't make me drag yo' out."
America grumbled, wrestling the blankets off of him with minimal effort. He slumped down the stairs and with a growl of his stomach, snatched up the sandwich.
"I knew you wer' hungry." Dixie smirked as America gobbled down the ham sandwich.
America only grunted, swallowing a big bite of sandwich.
"You should go downstairs." Dixie tried. "The states miss you."
The country turned his back on the battle flag. "I don't want to bother them."
Dixie scowled. "Well, they don't wanna be alone." With that said, Dixie turned around and marched out the door, muttering under his breath.
It took a while for America to slink out of his room, his excuse being that Dixie had left the plate in his room. Even then he was still reserved, fighting back a smile as he almost drowned in the sea of states. Dixie watched from afar, loading up the dishwasher(s). He would never admit it, but seeing America happy made him happy.
"I'm tired guys-" America grunted, trying to wrestle free from the states.
"You can be tired down here!" Arkansas shouted, clinging to America's forearm.
"Ya!" Hawaii whined. "Watch a movie with us!"
"Kids." America tried again.
"Pleaaaase?" The states looked up at him, putting on their best puppy eyes and pouty lips.
"Urg." America had to force his face straight, and Dixie snickered.
"Pleeeaaaaasssse?" Alaska even joined in, hunching his tall body forward.
"Fine." America grumbled.
A loud cheer erupted from the states as they dragged their father away. America resisted only a little as they pulled him towards the media room. Dixie smiled and went back to rinsing dishes. He squeezed the soap bottle and some bubbles shot out of the top. The battle flag watched as the small bubbles drifted lazily around and landed on the counter.
Do you want to join us? America asked. The sudden exclamation caught Dixie off guard, and the dish soap nearly slipped out of his hands.
Nah. You guys need some quality time. He set the soap down.
Thank you. Again Dixie. Having you here is a relief.
I'll always be here. Dixie promised. I always will.