Chapter 29: Everyone Comes With Scars, But You Can Love Them Away

Camila's POV:

I sat on the brick wall- the chilled stone under me causing me to shiver... I had underestimated the cold- but even so, I sat quietly watching my breaths rise and fall- appearing as white-puffed clouds in front of me...

I wrapped my arms tighter around myself, pulling my coat closed and tucking my chin downwards to try and conserve heat... My hair had fallen loose about my face- tousled and tangled by the chilly wind... It had a harsh bite, and as a result the hairs on my arms were raised and I felt the goosebumps appear on my arms- tingling my skin.

Although it wasn't the cold that bothered me... I felt almost numb, unable to comprehend what I had just done... physical pain was nothing compared to the emotional pain I had began to feel...

Laurens face remained engrained in my memory... the look of despair, sadness and disappointment- no matter what I tried to think about I just couldn't get it out of my head... how she begged me not to leave her... but I walked away anyway, leaving her alone on the street as I walked as quick as I could to an unknown destination... she tried to be there for me, to help me heal... but I wouldn't let her... I pushed the love of my life away and I didn't know if I could ever get her back...

I felt the tears begin to fall down my face... chilled by the cold night breeze as they continued to fall...

They didn't stop... trickling at a fast pace down my face as I let out a small sob... no one was around me but still- there was something almost depressing about crying in the middle of the street... alone... on a day which, before the dinner, had previously been an amazing one...

I was interrupted by a vibration that began to course through my whole body... I reached into my pocket, pulling out the phone to see Laurens name, and picture, displayed across the screen...

The picture was taken just before our first kiss... as we both stood looking out onto the lake, illuminated by the fairy lights that outlined the perimeter of the water... the stars were shining brighter than I had ever seen them... and it was the day that I realised I truly had feelings for Lauren... The happy memories of New York however disappeared as soon as they had appeared... the screen dimmed- Laurens face fading away as the call ended...

17 missed calls from Lauren Was the only thing displayed on the screen...

I couldn't hold back the tears as I let out another sob... the tears falling onto the phone screen that was now resting in my lap...

I couldn't take her calls...

I had to speak to her in person and hope that I wasn't too late...

Lauren's POV:

I tried calling Camila for what felt like the hundredth time... But still, she didn't pick up... I left another voicemail and let out a frustrated sigh as I threw the phone onto the sofa in front of me...

Defeated, and exhausted... I sat down next to the phone- the lit-up screen showcasing the photo of Camila and I which I had set as my wallpaper...

The photo was taken in Los Angeles, the night of my parents gala... we were stood in the garden: the trees illuminated by fairy lights, the perimeter of the pond covered in candles, the music playing gently in the background... but even with the beautiful decor, and the hustle of people around us- I couldn't stop staring at Camila... she truly looked beautiful- and she had me intoxicated- wrapped up in her as we danced on the lawn... just the two of us...

That had been the first night that she had reciprocated the feelings I knew I felt for her... she had kissed me, and from that point onwards I fell for her... harder and harder...