TWENTY FOUR

unedited

TWENTY FOUR

TWENTY FOUR. NO PLACE LIKE A LONELY APARTMENT

DAISY'S FACE WAS TOO NUMB TO FEEL THE BLOOD DRIPPING FROM HER BROKEN NOSE. The thick, red liquid fell between her cracked lips, but the adrenaline pumping through her made it feel like nothing. The only indication that she was bleeding was the metallic taste on her tongue, but it was the least of her problems. She heaved out a heavy breath and spat out a ball of blood and saliva, using her wrist to wipe her face, smearing blood across her cheeks.

"Horton!" her voice cracked as she screamed at the top of her lungs. She looked around the dimly lit room, stumbling as she tried to force her vision to adjust. She waved her hands around, reaching for the small crack in the door. "Horton, you son of a bitch! Where are you?!"

Once she found the break in the wood, she stuck her fingers in, twisted, and threw the door open, breaking into a run up the rotting stairs. She gasped for breath, her head spinning as she reached the landing. The kitchen. She was in the kitchen now.

She looked back and forth, and once she caught sight of the average height man hiding behind the marble island, she ducked. The bullets hit the doorframe above her, splintering the wood, so she took the chance to run and tackle him to the ground.

Horton yelled out, the gun flying from his hands and hitting the floor with another 'bang'. Daisy yelped as she felt a sharp pain in her shoulder, but she didn't stop. She flipped Horton onto his stomach and pulled his hands behind his back, her knee pressing against his spine. Horton wheezed, before he used what was left of his strength to throw her off him. 

Daisy groaned as she hit the ground, feeling her side grow heavy and wet. She was losing yet more blood. She looked up at the ceiling, seeing the swinging light above her. Her eyes started to roll back in her head as an overwhelming numbness overcame her, and she looked to the side, her eyes falling on the gun. A choked breath left her lips as she reached out, her fingers just brushing over the cold metal.

"You're never gonna find her," Horton managed a croaky laugh, pushing himself onto his feet. He swayed from side to side, trying to find his footing. He took a step towards her, then another, then another. "She's mine-"

BANG!

Daisy shot up in bed, her body coated in a cold sweat. Her hand fell to her chest in an attempt to still her beating heart, but it felt like it was about to burst out of her ribcage. Unconscious tears had spilled down her cheeks, and she quickly used her shirt sleeve to get rid of them.

Looking up, she wasn't met with anything comforting. The coldness of her apartment had never made her feel good, and she doubted it was ever going to. As someone who tried to force a bright attitude around others, it proved to be far more difficult to be left alone with the residual emotion.