31 • Conflicted

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

I watched with bated breath as Vinay hurled the phone onto the kitchen counter, before clutching it and closing his eyes.

"What happened?" I asked gently, placing my palm lightly on his shoulder.

He exhaled forcefully, and balled his fists.

"My father has been admitted in the hospital for five fucking days due double kidney failure. And my mother finally thought it was time for me to know. Apparently I'm the last person to find out." He swallowed.

And just like that the tables turned on our faces.

●○●

Vinay's chest heaved rapidly as he tried to bring his breathing under control. Just when I thought his breathing was falling into a rhythm, slowing down gradually, something snapped inside him and he punched the edge of the kitchen counter aggressively.

"Vinay!" I bleated, as I watched his knuckles split and blood started dripping down his wrist in a thin crimson rivulet.

I gasped involuntarily, my fingers reaching up to cover my open mouth.

But Vinay appeared to be trapped in daze, he slapped the back of his hand against the cold, grey granite counter again.

"Stop!" I shouted, my voice a little less shaky, now that I was over the initial shock, "Vinay, concentrate on your breathing."

This time the pain seemed to register when he glanced warily at the bloodied mess.

"Fuck!" Vinay gritted through his teeth furiously, pausing to inspect the damage before striding over to the sink and turning on the tap. He held his injured hand under the cool stream of water, staring at it impassively like he'd done nothing out of the blue.

I hadn't seen this angry, hate ridden side of Vinay for a very long time. It had been buried for so long that I'd almost forgotten. And it really hurt to see him like this, almost physically. To see him hurt himself so recklessly, without caring of the consequences that would follow this toxic kind of rage.

Wordlessly, I walked over to the storage cabinet and pulled out a small towel and made my way to Vinay. Wetting the towel in the sink, I gently took Vinay injured hand and wrapped it into the towel, pressing it lightly to stop the blood flow.

"I know I can't even begin to imagine what you must be feeling right now but..." I started.

"You're right." He growled, "You know absolutely nothing about what I'm fucking going through."

I blinked, unfazed. I knew this particular dialogue quite well now. It always started the same way.

"Just try to calm down, ok." I said gently, my tone careful and rehearsed, "Getting angry is not the solution."