3

"you really amaze me,just earlier you were thinking about him and now?"
"It's clear that he has moved on,didn't you notice that he's accompanied by a woman and a child who might be his son?"
"Your mind is beyond this world."
"..."Yvonne didn't want to talk now,she just wanted to get out of the mall but she stopped when she heard a voice.She didn't want to turn back ,it was a male's voice very familiar,it had to be Zach.Yvonne slowly turned and saw that the man walked up to her since she failed to respond.She took her head up slightly to face the man,he has always been tall and his lanky body suited him.
She was at at loss for words.
"So we meet again."he smiled at her and she managed to smile back"Zach,it's been a long time now, your looking good.I'm happy to see you."Yvonne stopped sensing that she said to much when Zach enveloped her with his arms .His embrace was warm,she felt at peace in it and closed her eyes for a while before coming back to reality.
"You've changed quite a bit."
"When did you come back?'Yvonne was curious to know"Just 2 weeks ago,it's not that long is it?"
"... it's good to see you ."Yvonne stopped and looked behind him to see a woman and a child."I can't believe your married and you have a child now."she said in a hushed tone trying to fight back her emotions,she was sad inside.
"No, you've got it all wrong, that's my sister and her son, they've only been in Nigeria for four days,let me introduce you."Zach's voice made Yvonne's heart to skip a beat,she felt reassured now,his eyes still had love in them or was she just seeing things?
"Yvonne meet Deborah Hudson my immediate older sister and her son Francis.. Deborah meet my good friend, Yvonne Jones."The woman's smile was just like Zachs' as she entered a hand to Yvonne"nice to meet you."
"Same here,you have a fine son."
"Thank you."just as Deborah ended her statement,Zach whispered something into her ear and Deborah's smile broadened.
Did he say something bad about her? Yvonne didn't know what to think now.
"We'll be having dinner at Zach's home tonight, it'll be an honour to have you there."
"I don't know.."she was interrupted when Cece joined them and they exchanged greetings before making necessary introductions.
"Deborah was just telling Yvonne of dinner to be held in our house.I'll like for you and Yvonne to come over."
"I wish I could but my husband will be arriving from South Africa today, I need to be at home with the kids... however, Yvonne is free."
"I have work tomorrow."
"We won't start until 8am and you really don't have anything to do."
"Please Yvonne it won't take much of your time."Deborah persisted
"Okay, I'll be there."
"I know how nervous you can be you don't have to worry it's not formal just family.If I'm right you haven't changed your phone number since the last time we met."Zach spoke up
"It's been the same."
"Like I thought,I'll send a driver to pick you by 6pm once I get your address.You'll be in safe hands."
"I appreciate."
"It's no big deal,I'll wait for you.I have to go now but we'll see in the evening.Cecilia, have a nice day too."Zach concluded and took one last glance at Yvonne before leaving.
Yvonne didn't stop staring even when he was out of sight.It was too good to be true.
Snap
Cece took Yvonne's attention."I told you ,just look at yourself now, your glittering."Yvonne couldn't still utter a word,she found it hard to believe.Was this a dream?
"Just earlier you wanted to leave here,now  you want to stay and daydream about Zach.I don't mind but my break is over."by this time Yvonne was back to her senses.
"I'm sorry,it's all too much to take in."
"I understand."Cece chortled and dragged Yvonne along with the cart.

***
At about 5:56, Yvonne was ready and got out to see Gordon,the driver Zach assigned for her.He stood by a black Ford edge."you must be miss Yvonne."Yvonne confirmed the man's guess and he in turn laid out his mission before she entered the car.
Yvonne examined the man as he drove out the compound,he seemed to be in his early 20s,she was curious to know how he met Zach.
"How do you know Zach?"Yvonne started hoping that he will answer the question"Mr Zach saved me from poverty, I was sacked from my previous place of work but he was compassionate enough."Gordon then engaged Yvonne in a conversation before he asked how she was related to him.
"We are friends but it's just today we met since the last 3 years he traveled."
"He's truly blessed to have a friend like you."
"What does that mean?"where was this man heading to by saying that. She wanted to know"I can detect a person's character by talking to them,you're a nice person that is why he asked me asked me to treat me with an exception."he paused"I usually blab a lot but he asked me to keep shut today." Yvonne chuckled a bit and requested him to keep his eyes on the road. In a matter of minutes, they arrived at Zach's residence, it had a long driveway and up ahead was a magnificent two-story building . Yvonne wondered how many people lived in the house; the maids,chefs and butlers. I can't believe this."madam were here."Gordon announced as he parked the car in front of the house where Zach waited for them. Yvonne alighted the car with grace and elegance while she put her in place"I'm glad you came."
"You gave me no choice."he stretched his hand which she took timidly.
"Gordon didn't give you a hard time, did he?"
"No, he knows how to keep one company."
"Okay... Gordon please give me the car keys you've done your work for the day."Zach said and Gordon quickly handed the car keys to him,he saw it as luck that he closed earlier than the usual time."have a nice evening ma."
"And you too."Yvonne answered.
"What do you think of this place?"
"It's magnificent, you've got yourself a nice place."
"Thanks ,let's go inside we have a lot to talk about ,everyone's waiting inside."
"Well,let's not keep them waiting."Yvonne replied, her hands were still in his but she didn't care.He led her to the dining room where she saw his two sisters and nephew Irene towards her to embrace her"Yvonne you look stunning it's been a long time."Irene appeared to be Zach's younger sister, she was already married with a little one year old boy. She had known Yvonne when Zach had been living near her they had come good friends and Yvonne even attended her wedding but over the last three years they hadn't had close contact.
"It's so good to see you again, first Zach and then you,today is something else ."Yvonne greeted back before acknowledging Deborah and Francis .After a few minutes later they were all settled on the dining table, enjoying a feast and talking.
"Today has been a long day, you must be exhausted ."Zach started approaching Yvonne who was outside"it has but I'm not too tired atleast."
"How silly am I?you have to go to work tomorrow, I'll drop you off."That was obviously the reason why Gordon was s my away earlier.
"There's really no need."
"Still with all the formalities,you are my guest atleast for old time sake."Yvonne stared at him,he was persistent and serious"I don't have a problem with that."Zach informed his sisters that he wasn't going to be around for a while before he and Yvonne entered the car in which she had first come in with.
They drove quietly for a while"I hope you enjoyed dinner."she nodded in compliance"you have wonderful sisters ,they must have missed you dearly when you travelled abroad for so long."
"Deborah really didn't,we were in the same state as if the time I was still living in America so that should go for Irene but I have a feeling she wasn't the only one missing me dearly."
"..."
"Don't stress yourself about it,it isn't worth it."
"I didn't say I was stressing about it."
"I know you too well, you appear to be doing well since the last time we saw."he changed the topic.
"I would say the same thing about you."
"I've been dying to have a conversation with you just like old times but I'm afraid we can't today."
"Why?there's still time till we get to my place."
"There's so much to talk about."
"Let's start from somewhere, beginning with you."
"Why am I not surprised to hear that?"he chuckled and released his grip from the gear shift.As time went by, Yvonne was glad to see that Zach hadn't changed,he used his computer programming skills to quickly get his hands on fortune and acquired alot of assets and properties,then he made plans to return back to Nigeria hence his luxurious home,most importantly Yvonne found out that Zach was still single,she was relieved.
"This is my place."Yvonne stopped and sighed still wanting to continue her discussion with Zach.
It was a nice day and a wonderful evening,there was nothing to regret after all that took place.
"Thank you for coming over, Deborah and Irene have been looking forward to meeting you."
'They have?, what for? I'm not that special,am I?'
"I should be the one giving the thanks, I had such a wonderful evening all because of you.".
"It's no big deal."
"No really Zach, thanks."
"Your welcome, since I know your address, you can be sure that I'll come over tomorrow."
Yvonne was dumbfounded but managed to nod while bading him a goodnight.She was tired of course but she couldn't help but watch Zach's car leave until it was out of sight before entering the premises of a block of flats, looking at her Kia Forte,it was nowhere near Zach's Ford edge,he had really made it and she was overwhelmed.
On getting to work,Cece followed the Yvonne as though she was a predator closely following it's prey."I can't stand you stalling me what do you want to hear?"
"don't act as though you don't know, spill the beans and don't make me wait I have work to do."Cece whinned and Yvonne gave in and she narrated events of the previous night to Cece"he's coming this evening to see you?"Cece gasped and Yvonne shot back almost immediately "don't be loud,the walls have ears."Cece and embraced Yvonneand spun her around.
"this is good news, I'm excited for." Cece calmed down at this point" don't mess up."
"I don't even know what will happen or why he's coming over and you're telling me that,please go and do your work let me do mine so that I can finish early."
At exactly herclosing time, Yvonne rushed home to arrange her abode.
8pm and Zach didn't even give a call,she spend the whole time chatting online with Cece to give her updates which were obviously a disappointment for both of them 8:35 p.m. Yvonne was notified when a message popped up on her screen.
Zach apologize for not being able to make it but promised to come the next day, in reply, Yvonne told him that it was ok. She was disappointed and thought that it was because of what had happened three years earlier her punishment was coming now and she wasn't looking forward to it.