surprise when you get home // dotae (nct)

angst, major character death, no happy ending, >:)

Doyoung walked through his front door, calling out to his boyfriend. "Honey, sorry I'm late! Yeonjun messed up an entire project and I had to stay long." He said. After a few minutes, he was getting worried. Was Taeyong mad at him? A seven to five job wasn't quite what he wanted for his boyfriend, but Doyoung had thought they had worked it out. "They paid me overtime, though! So no worries!" After Doyoung had once again heard no response, he left the mudroom where he was taking off his shoes and coat. Maybe Taeyong was at the tattoo parlor?

Doyoung walked through the apartment, checking the kitchen, living room, bathroom, and bedroom. He wasn't anywhere. Doyoung plopped down onto the couch and opened his messages to him.

Bubu <3: hey baby! I'm sorry that i didnt warn you before you left today, but my mom just called and she needs some help at home. I should be back around 6:00, i'll text you if i'm late. Be safe on the roads, they're super icy. Love you <3

Right, Doyoung had forgotten. He had checked his messages at lunch time to find messages from Taeyong after his shift at the cafe. He reread the text again and checked his watch. It's 7:10 now, maybe his mom made him food or he fell asleep. She often spoiled him when he came to visit, since they had moved away after highschool to go to college together. Doyoung had replied during his break.

Me: okay, honey. I'll talk to you later, I have a surprise for you <3

That reminds him! His and Taeyong's anniversary was tomorrow, but Taeyong was working all day and couldn't get anybody to cover for him. Doyoung had gotten him a large assortment of flowers, some chocolates, and a photobook filled with memories from the five years they were together. Taeyong was a hopeless romantic, and he would love the surprise. Doyoung brought out the flowers and arranged them nicely on the table, leaving a spot in the middle for the picture book and chocolates. When Doyoung was done he checked his watch again and it was 7:30. He decided to text Taeyong and make them a nice, romantic dinner.

Me: hey, hon. Its a bit late and i was wondering if you were on your way home? Also, i have a surprise for you when you get here <3

So Doyoung went to prepare Taeyong's favorite meal. He made rice, kalguksu, and Korean dumplings and set out a container of kimchi. While the food was cooking, he checked his phone and saw that there was a message from Taeyong. He had sent it about twenty minutes ago.

Bubu<3: i'm sorry! I fell asleep while watching a show at mom's and just woke up. I'm on my way! Looking forward to the surprise, love you baby

Doyoung smiled and sent a love you back before finishing the meal. Then he wiped off the table and chairs, added pillows, a nice tablecloth, and placemats before setting it all out in nice china and their best cutlery. After he waited for a few more moments, he decided to add candles but didn't light them yet.

He waited. Eventually, he lit the candles. He waited more. It was almost 11:00 by now. He waited some more, before deciding to text Taeyong. He sent a few messages asking if he was almost home, if he had stopped for gas, if he was lost. And then he said I love you.

About ten minutes later he jumped at the sound of his phone ringing, he had been dozing off. His face lit up, Taeyong must be calling! Doyoung began the search for his phone - which had fallen to the ground when he fell asleep - and answered before checking the caller ID.

"Hello, is this Mr. Kim Doyoung?"

"Um, yes, ma'am." Doyoung was confused, who was she? "You're listed as the emergency contact for Mr. Lee Taeyong, who got into a motor vehicle accident within this hour. I'm sorry to tell you this, but he was hit by a car and-"

"What are you saying?" Doyoung said, his voice panicked and eyes filled with tears. Please don't say-

"He didn't make it."