crying in the rain // yeonjun-centric (txt)

EXTREME TRIGGERS HERE. unsupportive parents, outing, homophobia, homophobic slurs, homophobia based on religion, running away

Yeonjun didn't know how they had found out. He had been so careful, he never did anything except for that one time. He never told anyone, never wrote it down, so how could they have found out?

"How could you disgrace us like that?!" His mother screamed. It reverberated in his head, he couldn't forget it.

"Fucking faggot! You're disgracing God!" His father said, and it hurt more than the slap that followed it because he would never. He loved God, he would die for Him. He had always shown that, why had the years of Bible study and volunteer work disappear once they knew he was gay?

Because he is. He's known for a while, since he was maybe 11 years old. He tried to tell himself that it wasn't the case. He was God's child and he wouldn't give into sin like that. He wouldn't betray his God like that.

That was until he met Beomgyu. Beomgyu is Catholic, they met when they were 13. He was gay, too. He told him about how his older sister was bisexual and how he knew that he had to accept himself. God accepted him, he made him like this. Those Bible verses that Yeonjun had drilled into his mind? Mistranslated, misunderstood. They didn't understand everything the way God did, and that is in the Bible, too.

"You're disgusting!" His mother ranted. She said that he was horrible, infected by Satan, and that she was going to send him to a special Christian camp to make him see the light.

If only the light she talked about existed. God didn't care if he was gay, if he wanted to marry a boy. He cared that he loved people, he cared that he had compassion.

Yeonjun had compassion and love. It was obvious his parents didn't.

"No." He had said. He couldn't believe that he had said that. He was going to stay quiet, wait until he was old enough to live on his own. It was only two more years, after all.

He couldn't take two more years, he realized. He had denied Beomgyu's words up until then, but he knew that they were true. He was tired of not being able to express himself. He was tired of not being able to hang out with Beomgyu, Satan-spawn that his parents accused him of being. He was tired of not being able to love.

Tears flood his eyes. His mother shrieked and screamed, asking him what he thought he was doing when he ran out of the room, to the door, grabbing the emergency bag Beomgyu knew that he would need.

Then he ran. He ran for so long, clothes to his bones soaking wet and shivering. Eventually he was at Beomgyu's apartment that he shared with his sister after they had been disowned. He knocked on the door, sobbing again.

The door opened to reveal Sooyoung. Somehow she knew, when she saw him. She pulled him inside and sat him on the couch and gave him a hug. Yeonjun sobbed harder. Sooyoung's girlfriend made hot chocolate and at some point Beomgyu showed up and they all told him exactly what he needed to hear.

"There's nothing wrong with you."

"You can stay as long as you need."

Hopefully, these words would someday be louder than the yelling and cursing of his parents.