Chapter 5

Leah POV

I woke up to the sunlight beaming through a hole in the roof and a pair of feet shuffling. I patted around me to see if Jamie was there, and woke alarmed as I felt nothing.

"Jamie, Jamie! Where are you? Jamie this isn't funny" I exclaimed as I searched through the house.

Hearing my voice, that little boy finally replies from somewhere. I approach him listening to where his voice is from.

"Leah, I'm right here, look it's a dog. It's so beautiful and so big. Can we keep him? Please, pretty please."

I was suspicious how a dog can be in such fine condition, when the humans themselves were suffering from famine and filth. Unless it was a trap set up by the military to bring in young children they can brainwash.

Being at war, it's better to be safe than sorry. This also means assuming the worst of situations almost all the time.

"Jamie, no. We can't keep him. Let's go, we need to leave this place now."

After a thorough look at our surroundings, I grabbed Jamie and despite his sulking face we gathered the little coins we had and departed the house.

"Why couldn't we keep the dog? He was so friendly and nice."

"Don't you think it's a little suspicious how a dog can be in such an amazing state despite being in the middle of a war."

Jamie was not a little innocent child anymore. I knew that he should be advised of the trickery behind the tactics of the evil me. After realizing the truth behind my words, Jamie reluctantly agreed.

"Where are we going right now?"

"We'll go see if anyone is willing to sell some food and water. It's not like we have much to do anyways. Remember, Jamie hold my hand and never leave my sight."

As I said those words we both departed towards the market place.

Dylan POV

"I'll always love you. Please don't leave us. You have to promise me you'll come back to us. Please Dylan."

I woke up to the noise of knocks on my door.

"Come in" I groaned and as John entered his words fell deaf to my ears as I think back to my dream, where the hazel eyed women spoke those soothing words to me.

'I love you' is a phrase told by parents to their children, lovers to their lovers, siblings to each other, yet having none of those. Those three words felt like a foreign language to me, yet it felt like home.

"Hey Sarge, Dylan are you listening to what I'm saying."

"Sorry what were you saying again?"

"I was saying we need to wake the men and give them positions."

With that, we both planned out the schedule for the next few days.

"Activate the alarm and tell the men to meet me at the central station."

Despite being my best friend, he follows my order and prepares to wake all soldiers.

After getting ready, I visited Kennedy in the medical wing, where he was heavily asleep after being on painkillers.

Everyone met in the central station and abided by my orders for the day. Along with myself and Max, ten other fellow soldiers and dogs came with us to find any land mines or bombs.

"I'll take the north eastern end. Remember to keep your Walkie talkies on and report any findings immediately."

Max and I went searching, with his nose to the ground and my eyes ahead to be aware of any attack. As we reached what seemed to be a destroyed town, Max seemed to have found something.

"What is it Max? What did you find boy? Lead me to it"

Immediately with caution Max led me through his scent. I expected a landmine or maybe a dead body or animal. It seemed impossible to live in such ruins, but with surprise I met a boy, maybe around ten years old.

As soon as he saw us he bolted and immediately Max pounced on him and kept him in place.

"Woah Max down boy. You're going to startle him. Hey kid, we're not going to hurt you, we're here to help you."

I wasn't even sure if the boy would understand English, but it was worth a shot. To my surprise, he responded in proper English.

"No I need to go. Leah said you will lie and then kidnap me." He replied frantically.

Just as he was about to run off again I grabbed his arm. As much as we were sent to end the enemies before they attacked our country, I also wanted to help the innocent people trapped here.

"I promise I'm not going to take you anywhere. I'm only here to help, I'm not the enemy. I just need to know if you are alone. A kid like you shouldn't wander alone in such ruins, I can help you."

"I'm not alone, my older sister is with me. We can take care of ourselves."

He says this cautiously as he eyes Max. His hesitation is understandable as a hundred pound dog nearly tackled him just moments ago.

Although I met this boy a few seconds ago, I felt a strong urge to protect him.

"Hey, don't be scared. My name is Dylan and this is my buddy Max. What's your name?"

After a careful consideration he finally speaks.

"Jamie"

"You know you can pet Max. He won't hurt you, I promise."

Hesitantly, Jamie finally pets Max and a couple minutes later they play as if they've known each other their whole life.

"Sarge, we found a landmine, sarge it's..."

As my walkie's signal buffers, I moved a couple of feet to listen to what my men found.

"Max, look after Jamie until I come back"

I retrieve saying those works and thankfully they deactivated the landmine without any casualties.

I come back to only see Max and Jamie gone. Understanding Max's calm behaviour, I knew Jamie's family members, probably his sister that he mentioned came to pick him up.

With that, Max and I walked back to camp and met with the other soldiers.