Chapter 13

Dylan POV

It's been a few week since Leah and Jamie came into my life. They settled quite comfortably to the new surroundings.

With Leah helping out on the cook and doctor, Jamie spends his days practicing using his new prosthetic leg.

Although I visit, Jamie quite often, it's been weeks since I talked to Leah; thirteen days to be exact. As of now, Kennedy and John are with me to discuss plans against the terrorists.

"We've have 7 casualties of the last three weeks and luckily all of them are minor injuries. We need to up our game, Dylan."

"I know, I'm just not sure how to put an end to this. All we know for now is that they have an inside man. We just have to figure out who it is."

"Don't get mad at me for suggesting this, but do you think Leah or Jamie might be ratting us out?"

"It's not them Kennedy. It can't be them. Jamie's a kid for god sake and Leah, she's a gentle soul. Their families died in the hands of those evil soldiers."

As John defended them, I was still processing what Kennedy had asked. How can he even question them? I know they won't do that to us, they won't.

"What if their stories are lies? Do we have proof their family died?"

"No, but-"

"We don't have proof of their families' death, but we got proof of them escaping with their lives. Even if they worked for those terrorists Leah would make sure no harm will befall Jamie. Explain how he had to amputate his leg then."

I bellowed at Kennedy as he flinched and took a step away from me.

"Shit I wasn't thinking. I'm sorry, Sarge. I just wanted to be prepared and didn't think it through."

Nodding at his apology we moved on from that topic and tried to find who their inside man can be. That's when John came up with a thought.

"What if one of our own men is giving information about us? Maybe they were bought or are being threatened."

"They are soldiers who are willing to lay their life for this country. You better be sure if you're going to lay any names of accusations."

"Look whether they have an inside man or one of their own turned against us, we have to be prepared for anything. Until we have any solid evidence, none of this information better leak out to anyone."

"Yes Sargent."

"Both if you are my closest men. I want you to keep an eye out for everyone."

Giving a firm nod, they were about to leave the meeting room.

"Kennedy stay, I need to speak with you."

As John gathered his things and shit the door, I turned my attention to Kennedy.

"Look Dylan, I'm sorry for putting those accusations of Leah and Jamie. I should've known better, it was just an idiotic what if thought."

"No Kennedy, you're one of my best men. If you truly have doubts and your guts are telling you something of someone, I don't want you to give up.

Don't invade Jamie's or Leah's privacy, but if you want to keep a close eye on them, I won't stop you."

Those words sounded bitter coming out of my mouth. With a surprised expression he left me alone to dwell on my thoughts.

As Sargent, I should never be biased and if I have doubts on any of my fellow soldiers, then it's only right that I doubt the intentions of Leah and Jamie.

If Kennedy was right, then I want us to be prepared. Something in my heart was telling me that I'm making a stupid mistake, but the logical part of me knew I had to do this.

As my inner thoughts fought with each other I began to get a headache.

"Shit"

I mumbled as I rubbed my head before deciding to get a shot of whiskey to relieve my pain.

As the fine liquor travelled down my throat, I sighed in peace, as my headache was gradually fading away.

I swirled the golden brown liquor in my glass, as I matched them to the eyes of my lovely beauty. In the sun, her eyes were pools of honey, but in the dark they were like the dark whisky I was drinking.

After my third or fourth glass I began to get brave and decided to see Leah after what seemed to be an eternity. Despite being a bit tipsy, I knew she would be with Jamie right now.

It was nearly 11pm and I wouldn't be surprised if she was awake right now. I was hoping she would be awake.

I'll never know when I'll get the strength to speak to her again. Going to speak to her seemed much more risky than going to war. I want even this nervous on my first trip to a battle in my late teens.

Ridding myself of those sad thoughts, I eagerly entered the medical ward. Not wanting to make any loud noise and wake them up in case they were sleeping, I tiptoed to their room.

A muscled six foot two inches soldier ws tip toeing for a girl and a kid. I shook my head at my foolishness as I gently opened the door to Jamie's room.

The window was slightly ajar, letting just enough breeze to cool down the room. As the moonlight shone through the curtain, it lit the beautiful face of my love.

She was soundly sleeping with her body curled towards Jamie, as if she was protecting him from all bad things in the world.

I approached her and noticed a strand of her dark hair was covering her face and. Gently I used my finger to move it ever so slightly. With it gone, I observed her gorgeous face.

Her long dark lashes nearly met with her cheekbones. As a dust landed on the bridge of her nose, she ever so slightly twitched it, like a bunny. Her soft pink lips were slightly open as she breathed in and out.

Like a magnetic field I was about to land my lip on hers, as something inside me snapped. Realizing what I was about to do, I shook my head and closed the window as the cold air caused her to shiver ever so slightly.

Sitting on the chair placed in the corner, I observed both Jamie and her. I never really was fond of children, yet the way I interacted with said otherwise. He was truly special.

Watching the horrible relationship with all the foster parents I and, I never truly believed in love. A live within a family or within a couple. Out of nowhere, Leah came and changed that opinion of mine.

As I watched them sleep, I knew if I were to ever have a family it will be the bond I have with Leah and Jamie.

Without even realizing, the alcohol took its toll and I slowly succumbed to sleep.