IX

It wasn't exactly the tearful goodbye one would expect from siblings who hadn't seen each other in ages, but it was a goodbye fit for these two.

"Next time you come here, don't bring all the baggage~"

"Why, are your lunch lady arms the only baggage you can handle?"

"Goes well with your double chin~"

"At least I have one and a neck to boot~"

The siblings scowled at each other after that but immediately broke out in a fit of laughter and even hugged just as Kaine finished loading up the car.

"I'm gonna miss your dumb ass."

"Not as much as I'm going to miss the scent of stale cigarettes."

"I'll quit eventually."

"We've got all the time in the world."

"How are you guys doing? I know this can't be easy for you."

"Lukas misses his family, and I'm not going to be the one to keep him from them. I made a promise and I intend to keep it."

"And Kaine?"

"Kaine's on board too. Trust me, it's all for the best."

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○
Lukas POV:

Guess this is it. I'm going home today. So why do I feel so bad about it? Don't get me wrong I really do want to go home, but at the same time I don't really want to say goodbye to Cerin and Kaine. Hearing how much they both grew to love me in such a short amount of time really messed with my feelings towards them, and the fact that they even gave me a choice in the matter really shows that it's real.

I didn't want to admit it to myself at first but I had to face the truth, I sort of liked them too. Sure there were some things I didn't like, like forcing me into this whole baby thing, but after they explained things to me it sort of made sense I guess. I mean I don't like the idea of being branded a "little" but I couldn't deny that everything they told me about them applied to me. Not that I'd ever tell them that.

They were understanding when I turned down their offer and even told me that they were going to move my family and I out of the camp and support us. That had been a shock that I hadn't exactly been expecting and I hate to say it but I may have squealed and hugged them both.

I guess I don't really have to miss them because they said they would visit to see how we were doing, but it won't be the same as being around them all the time. Oh well, I guess it can work.

Cerin had gotten me new clothes before he came back last night. They were regular clothes fit for someone my age but at the same time they looked like something a kid would wear. I didn't mind since he'd gotten me some boxers as well but they didn't provide the same comfort and warmth that the...cursed thing did. Look blame them for me feeling this way, it's all their fault.

"Oh, Lukas, zip up your jacket, you'll catch your death out here!", exclaimed Cerin as I walked out of the house. I rolled my eyes and snorted at his fretful nature but zipped up nonetheless since I didn't really feel like getting sick. Cara smiled at this and even ruffled my hair again. Again, I didn't mind it.

"You ready to go, squirt?"

"I guess. Will I...see you again?"

"Maybe, I'll have to see if I can make time for my favorite nephew~"

I smiled as she hugged me, so I was still going to be her nephew even though I'd say no to her brother? Did that mean that they'd still be another set of parents to me?