Chapter 13

Kohl

Sweat dripped from my brow and stung my eyes, but I did not have time to wipe the perspiration or even blink. The slightest distraction could be deadly, even when training. My men were ruthless and knew they were to show no mercy, especially when it came to their leader.

Tank stood opposite of me, staff raised and ready to strike. He was named appropriately. He is about the size of a mortal tank machine.

The wind shifted, bringing with it the delectable scent of my mate. Without thinking, my eyes swept across the training field, desperate for one glimpse of her.

Tank used my moment of distraction to his advantage. He jabbed me quickly in the ribs, hooked the pole between my knees, and twisted until I lost my balance and crashed to the ground.

The training field went entirely still, and the men gathered around me with shocked expressions. I had never been bested, yet here I sit with my ass kissing the ground. For the first time in my life, I was ashamed and angry.

I used the pole to quickly push myself up, and my men stepped back. I locked eyes with Tank, who was shrinking away from me. I nodded to him once in approval, and he balled up his fist and held it to his chest, a sign of honor and respect. It was finished after that, the circle of men dispersed, and I walked over to a nearby tree and wiped my head and face with a damp towel.

"Quite the show." Athen swooped in next to me, disappointment on her face. I blatantly ignored her as I took a swig of water.

"Are you going to tell me what is wrong with you, or do I have to figure it out myself," she asked as she sat beside me on a rock.

"Don't make up something that isn't there. I have a lot on my mind. That's all," I sternly warned her not to press the matter further, and she didn't.

My mate's scent was getting stronger, and I looked up to see her heading straight for me with the small framed changeling in her wake.

She was beyond sexy in the Night Realm training outfit. For some reason, I never noticed how much skin the uniform showed until it was on her. I clenched my fist in anger as she passed through the horde of my men, each stopping to look at her.

A strong desire to end all of their lives washed over me, and I had to remind myself that only the fated mate bond was pushing me to kill any male who looked at her. I let myself get distracted today, but I would not let it happen again. For the good of my men and myself, I had to put some distance between us, but I wasn't sure if I could, and that thought alone scared the hell out of me.

Athen was watching me closely, and I knew if I did not disguise my true feelings, she would figure out that I had found my fated mate. She had been my closest friend since childhood. If anyone could decipher my moods, it's her.

Icelyn stopped before me and threw her hands on those hips I'd like to squeeze as I pulled her in for a deep kiss.

Training. Focus on the training. I reminded myself.

"Athen, would you like the honor of instructing the princess, or shall I get someone else to do it?" I glanced over at Athen as she threw her head back and laughed. Her laughter sounded like the squawk of a bird.

"I have much more important things to do than to train your new toy." Athen stood, and she took off with a swoosh of her mighty wings.

Damn. That meant that it was another male or me. I definitely didn't want another male around her, but if I was going to continue this farce, I certainly wouldn't be able to train her myself. I was way too in tune with her body.

"Gage." I exhaled my anger as I motioned for one of my most trusted men to join me. He was one of the men I sent to fetch her from the Night Realm, so she was somewhat familiar with him.

He walked over and awaited my command.

"I am making it your responsibility to train the princess in hand-to-hand combat," I told him. He seemed agitated but never argued with me as he nodded his head in understanding.

"Hand to hand. What about my powers?" Icelyn's disappointed voice grated over my nerves.

"You have to learn to control your body before you can control your powers. Now get started. Here, maybe this will bring you some luck." I smiled and tossed her the staff I was using.

She caught it, and the anger and resentment in her eyes would scorch me if it could. "If that's the case, I should use someone else's staff. At least the other men have the ability to stay upright."

So she had witnessed Tank throwing me to the ground and was now putting to question my manhood. That pissed me off.

"No mercy, Gage," I instructed him and returned to my spot on the boulder.

Gage began to instruct Icelyn and then, without warning, struck out and slapped her hand with the end of the pole. Icelyn yelped in surprise.

"Focus. Watch my body language. You should be able to tell when I am getting ready to strike." Gage circled her a few more times and struck again. This time Icelyn blocked it with her staff.

"Good. Again," Gage ordered her.

Pride fluttered in my chest. She was doing better than I thought she would. She was just as agile as she was beautiful. They continued until midday, and Gage was slowly wearing her down. I tried to ignore the burning sensation I felt in my chest when Gage hit her with the staff.

Icelyn charged him in anger, a rookie mistake, and Gage tripped her up and sent her staff flying through the air. I froze as he subdued her from behind, wrapping his arms around her middle and bringing her back flushed to his chest.

I'm on my feet so suddenly that I don't even remember my brain telling my feet to stand. An arm reached from behind and gripped my wrist, momentarily stopping me.

"I need a word... in private." Athen held tight to my arm, unwilling to let go.

By the time I focused back on Gage and Icelyn, he had released her, and they had resumed fighting. I brushed her hand from my arm and gripped her wrist, transporting the both of us high on a cliff that overlooked the training field.

"Speak," I tell her, agitated.

"You have to get rid of her." Athen steps towards me, genuine concern on her face.

"Do not make it a habit of telling me what I need to do," I said with an unspoken deadly warning.

"I am only telling you this for your own good. I have been around for a long time and have seen many things...I know how a male acts around his fated mate."

I made eye contact with her for the first time. I shouldn't be surprised that she had figured it out already. I did not say a word, neither confirming nor denying her accusation.

"Look what she has done to you already. What would you have done to Gage if I hadn't stopped you?"

I knew exactly what I was getting ready to do to him, but I did not intend to tell her. Gage was one of my best men, and he did nothing to deserve the punishment I was getting ready to deal to him.

"I will not send her away," my voice was low and threatening, and I dared her to question me again.

"Fine." Athen walked closer to me and stared up into my eyes.

"But just remember, when she finally succeeds at bringing you down to your knees, she want only be dragging you down, but this entire realm as well." Athen prepared to fly off, but I stopped her.

"Keep this to yourself," I warned her.

Athen stopped and snorted in disbelief. "You see, now she has you questioning my loyalty. Me of all fae. Do you truly believe I would betray you?"

Her eyes revealed her hurt as she soared off the ledge and back towards the training field.