Chapter 15

Kohl

Icelyn rushed past me, and I caught a scent on her that was strange, almost toxic, but my mind was in a whirlwind right now, so I let her pass by me to collect herself.

My heart was still hammering in my chest. I felt her anger and fear a while ago, but I was so far away that it took what felt like an eternity to reach her side. Once in the bathing room, I heard the screams of the women, and my blood froze in fear. My only thought and desire was to ensure that Icelyn was safe.

What I didn't expect to see was that she was the cause of the ruckus in the room. My sexy little minx had frozen the entire bathing pool. I calmed considerably once I saw her with my own eyes, only to be heated back up to my maximum level as she stood naked before me.

I had nearly lost control seeing her there so vulnerable and so tempting. I could typically push my desire deep down, but after seeing my mate bare for the first time, the only thing that would cool my heated blood was her. I turned to do precisely that, but an ear-piercing screech paused me.

"Kohl, don't leave usss! Get me out of here!" Kaah's voice made my headache. I turned back around, looking at her for the first time.

The top half of her wiggled like a fish out of water. It was about time someone put her in her place. I threw my head back and roared with laughter.

"If I had a choice, I would leave you in there. I'm sure this whole mess was your doing, but unfortunately, you are not the only one trapped."

Kaah's eyes widened, and I was sure it was because she wasn't used to me speaking to her like that, but where Icelyn was concerned, there was no leeway or forgiveness. I waved my hand, and my black mist stretched across the water's surface and hung there until the ice melted. I turn towards the door to leave again.

"Kohl, wait!" Kaah cried, but of course, this time, I didn't listen.

This was a bad idea. I scolded myself as I stood outside Icelyn's room. I had very little control over myself at the moment. If I had admitted it, I was as close to feral as I have ever been in my entire life.

I was supposed to be keeping my distance, but I was standing outside her door. I heard a strange noise and then a crash, and within seconds, I was in the room. My eyes rounded in horror as I saw Icelyn writhing in pain on the ground.

I kneeled beside her and scooped her into my lap. She had changed into the sheer night dress I gave her. It is soaked and clung to her body. Icelyn was drenched in sweat and shivered uncontrollably. Her body was burning up with a fever.

"Icelyn... Speak to me. What happen?"

My emotions were running wild. Fear, anger, confusion. I breathed deeply, and the same toxic smell invaded my scenes that I had noticed earlier. Icelyn had been poisoned.

"Kohl?" Icelyn's eyes fluttered open, and she reached up and brushed her palm against the stubble on my jawline, almost like she wasn't sure of what she was seeing.

"It's me, Snowflake." I gripped the hand touching my cheek, and brought it to my lips.

"Tell me what happened?" I was trying to be calm, but the urgency in my voice had her shrinking away from me. I refused to let her go as I tucked her tighter to my chest.

"My side is on fire," she moaned, and my hands instantly brushed the nightgown away as I exposed her side.

On her side were three angry whelps, oozing a clear liquid. Kaah. I carefully stood and laid her gently on the bed.

"Jen!" My voice rumbled so loud that the rafters shook.

Jen appeared within seconds, a startled and confused look on her face. She went ridged when her eyes landed on Icelyn.

"Go get Kaah and tell her to come here immediately. Tell her I will come get her myself if she stalls, and she will not like the outcome."

Jen took off on her scrawny human legs. It would be much faster for me to get Kaah myself, but I refused to leave Icelyn's side. It felt like hours before Kaah slithered into the room, followed by Jen.

"Fix this." I stood, towered over her, and pointed to the whelps on Icelyn's side.

"She is getting what she deserves. Didn't you see what she did to me?"

My hand struck out quicker than the snake could react. My fingers wrapped around her throat, and I squeezed. She coughed and sputtered, her poisoned nails digging into my flesh as she tried to break free.

"Your struggling is useless, as is your venom. I am the king of the Night Realm. Nothing here can hurt me."

Athen chose that precise moment to enter the room to see what the commotion was all about.

"What goes on here?" She looked from me to Kaah and then to Icelyn. I never acknowledged her.

"I said...fix...this." I threatened and eased up on the tension I was applying to her throat.

She snatched from my embrace, sucking in air as fast as possible. "Iss thiss princesss more important to you than me?"

"Did I say this was question and answer time?" I seethed.

She had stalled for the last time. Kaah hit her knees and gripped her temples as I entered her mind. She screamed like someone was killing her, and that's because I was.

Athen pushed past me, gripped Kaah under her arm, and forced her to stand. "You dare question the king?"

Athen shook her, and I pulled back from her mind. I let Athen take over. In my state, I would kill her in seconds if I didn't release her.

Kaah stumbled towards Icelyn, and I stood behind her, watching her every move. I didn't believe Kaah had a death wish, but an envious female's antics are questionable at best.

"You worry for not, my King," Kaah said sarcastically, putting her hand against the wound on Icelyn's side.

"Sshe is sstronger than me. Her body is already ridding itsself of my venom."

I pushed Kaah aside and looked for myself. The whelps were indeed shrinking, and the wounds were no longer seeping venom.

"Sshe will likely run a fever the resst of the night, but come morning, sshe will be good asss new."

Relief flooded my entire body, and my pulse returned to its regular beat.

"Get out, all of you," I said deathly calmly.

They all exited the room, but Athen hovered in the doorway.

"You made a mistake tonight. Now it is clear to everyone that she means much more to you than just a Winter Realm prisoner."

"Don't make me ask you to leave a second time." I didn't turn to face her.

"What would you have me do with Kaah?" Athen asked before leaving.

"Banish her," I said in a voice that was not to be questioned.

The door closed, and I got into bed with Icelyn, pulled her trembling body to my chest, and encircled her in my arms.

"You are too hot, my little Snowflake. You will melt if you're not careful." I placed my head on hers and held her as tightly as possible, as if doing so would keep her from slipping away from me. I threw my hand up, and the doors and windows in the room flew open, and a cool breeze rushed in.

"Rest, Snowflake. I will watch over you this night."