Chapter 19

Icelyn

"What's wrong with you?"

I picked my head up as Jen came bouncing into my room. I blinked a few times to clear my misty, red-rimmed eyes. I'd cried until I had nothing left. Now all I felt was scorn. I spent the remainder of the day honing in on the newfound control of my powers. Mostly, I had been sculpting statues of Kohl out of ice and then smashing them with my fist, that fact made evident by the bruises and gashes on my knuckles.

Jen lightly grasped my chin, forcing me to look at her with my sorrowful eyes.

"This is serious; tell me, what happened?"

Even though Jen was my best friend, I'd rather die than tell her that I was a one-in-a-million fae fortunate enough to find their fated mate, only to be denied by him on the same day.

"It's nothing, just missing home, I guess. You look stunning." I changed the subject quickly.

She seemed hesitant to drop it, but once I complimented her, she twirled for me. She was wearing a black dress that fell off her shoulders and clung to her hips and golden jewelry.

"It's customary for all single females to wear black to the party. It's a clear message to the single males that we are available. And these..." She held out her wrist to show me the gold bangle bracelets. "Tell them we are willing to be their love slaves." Jen wiggled her eyebrows at me knowingly, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"You're not dressed," she gasped and looked down at my training uniform.

"I'm not going. I don't feel like it," I said and walked behind the changing screen, intending to put on my nightgown and go to bed.

"You must be joking! This is the biggest event of the year!" she whined and pulled my nightgown out of my reach.

"You said it was a full moon festival. There is a full moon every month," I argued with her and motioned for her to hand me my nightgown.

"Yes, but the full moon festival is only once a year. Haven't you noticed the moon?" She walked over to the balcony and threw the doors open to make her point.

The moon hung low in the sky and was a cornflower blue instead of its usual creamy white. The longer I stared at it, the more hypnotized I became.

"Besides, if you wear this dress I picked for you, I know Kohl will fall head over heels." Jen held out a black dress for me to see.

My heart lurched at the mere mention of his name, and I angrily swiped at a traitorous tear that slipped down my cheek. Maybe I should go, not to catch Kohl's attention, but to show him he is not the only male in the Night Realm. I don't want another male, but I can't hide for the rest of my days, pining for a male that has no intention of honoring our mate bond.

With determination, I snatched the dress from Jen's hands and rushed off to the bathing pool. By the time I have returned, I am clean from head to toe and smell like the intoxicating scent of the moonflower. Jen quickly fixed my hair and motioned for me to look at myself in the mirror.

"On second thought, maybe you should stay here. The way you look, no male will even glance my way," Jen said with a smile.

The dress she has chosen for me is the purest of black silk. It has halter straps that tie at my neck, a plunging neckline, and a beautiful A-line skirt with a split that runs to my mid-thigh. Jen has left my hair flowing in loose curls down my back. I turned back towards her, and she slipped two golden bangle bracelets on my wrists.

"Where do you think you are going?" We both turned in surprise as Athen came into my room.

"Not that it is any of your business, but we are going to the festival," I answered her and placed my hands on my hips.

"Oh no, you are not. Kohl has instructed me to ensure you stay in your room tonight. He wants to ensure you are kept away from the wild fae."

"Are you serious? Since when does Kohl dictate who can attend the festival?" Jen snorted.

"He can do what he likes. He is the king," Athen argued and looked at us, daring us to discuss further.

"It's ok, Jen, you go. I didn't want to go anyway." I gave her a reassuring smile and watched as she followed Athen out.

I heard the click of the lock of my door, which added fuel to my already burning fire. So the big, badass Night Realm king wants to have his cake and eat it too? He refused to do what was right by me, yet he locked me in my room to ensure no one else could have me either. I don't think so!

I walked out onto the balcony and carefully stood on the railing, a difficult task in my stilettos. Once balanced, I waved my hand and formed a beautiful ice stairway that stretched to the ground below. I gripped the railing as I descended, feeling quite proud of myself.

"Foolish King, you should have never taught me how to control my powers, especially if you intended on breaking my heart..."

Hell has no fury like a female scorned.