Chapter 10

I stood up from my seat and ran. I pushed through the row, not caring who I jostled, and avoided Groff and Akara’s worried shouts. This was ridiculous, absolutely mortifying. Someone somewhere had thought it would be a brilliant idea to turn an important ceremony into a joke, but I would not be complicit. They may blame me for the mixup, so I needed to get to the Terran base as soon as possible.

Diplomatic immunity was not something that had been discussed for me, and I was sure I would be destroyed for this. I began to hyperventilate as I dashed down the aisle stairs, picturing being stripped of my uniform and dumped back in a colony somewhere. 

There were only two exits in the arena (which seemed like a fire hazard with all the pyrotechnics going on during the ceremony) and I bolted to the nearest one, which took me close to the edge of the stage. People had begun to get up from their seats and try to get a glimpse of the small human darting around, contributing to the mass hysteria and panic that I felt inside. 

I was almost to the door when I felt a firm grip on my arm, dragging me upwards and over the edge of the stage. I struggled and kicked at the unyielding hold, which only tightened as I was turned around to face a pair of very angry grey eyes. 

“Nice try, human. You’re coming with me.” I saw that we were back to petulance and unfamiliar species distinguishers, but somehow being next to Stefin dampened my panic.

It was unreasonable, as he looked absolutely livid, and my anxiety returned when he began to drag me across the stage towards the Priestess. The woman somehow responsible for all of this had been revived, and sat calmly in the midst of a circle of the Royals. For some reason they did not seem confused or accusatory, but rather confused as to why their gods would see fit to stir up so much crap.

I was a Terran, and a skeptic to boot, so I had no intention of following along with Cynabarrian religious superstitions. Someone had done this to me for a reason, and I needed to figure out why and who before it ruined my life. 

“What is going on, why her?” Stefin addressed the Priestess with a surprising amount of control, and pushed me in front of him.

I felt the lack of contact burn through my arm, but forced myself to focus on the serene gaze of the rainbow-robed woman.

“Soulmates are not chosen, they are foretold,” she spoke softly, “the temple confirms this match.”

A tall man standing among the royals, who I assumed to be the King, stood tall and called for everyone’s attention. I had thought it would be impossible to regain control of the masses, but a hush fell across the arena. 

“The Goddess has spoken. Prince Stefin has found his mate, and we will now consider the implications of this match. Thank you.” He dismissed the crowd with a wave of his hand, and the quick end to the ceremony was the only clear sign I could see in his countenance that foretold a mistake. 

“Perhaps Prince Stefin and the human -” 

“Holly.” I almost didn’t recognize my own voice as I spoke up, cutting off the King. Everyone looked at me in shock, and I was somehow bolstered by their surprise that I did, in fact, speak. 

“My name is Holly, and I request diplomatic immunity.” My voice broke on the last word, and I cursed myself for betraying my fear. This was important, and I could only hope that they would honor some kind of amnesty so that I could be tried by the Terrans. 

“Diplomatic immunity? Whatever for?” This time another woman spoke up. I figured she was Stefin’s mother, from the way that her bronze hair and grey eyes mirrored those of her son. She seemed genuinely concerned for me, and I was appreciative of the empathy in her voice.