TWENTY-FOUR: Feelings

(20th June, 2011)

I was on a run with Daryl, Maggie, and Glenn, we were in the mall again and I found polaroid cameras. I grabbed them all and all the polaroid film that was in the store, their had to be enough to take millions pictures since I was in a camera store and they had a lot of film in their store room. I also raided the stationary store, comic book store and book store, much to Daryl's demise, saying that all this stuff is useless, "you might not realise this, but this shit is gold to a kid." I neatly loaded the stuff into the trailer attached to the pick up.

We brought a trailer because I said that were are going to find something to entertain people. "Oh there's a board games in here! Maggie help me out?" the brunette woman smiled at me and rushed over to help me pick out board games. "Oh I used to love trivial pursuit." Maggie commented looking at the box, I grabbed a few boxes of every game that looked fun.

We carried everything into the prison, yesterday I found the prisons old library, so I carried all the boxes off books and stationary to the unknown room. I wanted to surprise everyone with it once I finished cleaning and organising it. Unfortunately, Carl discovered my secret once he noticed I kept disappearing, he followed me as I carried the stationary box to the room. Obviously I didn't know he was tailing me, until he arrived in the room causing me to jump in fright. "Nyx, what are you-oh," Carl interrupted himself as he looked around the room, "no, it was supposed to be a surprise." I groan approaching him trying blocking his eyes from seeing the room, Carl laughed at my attempt and held my wrists to stop them. His touch felt like a bolt of lightning, hot and electric, and it dawned on me that my feelings for Carl have resurfaced. I quickly pulled my hands from his and turned around hiding my blush.

"I'm sorry for ruining the surprise, I was just curious why you kept sneaking off. I didn't mean to upset you..." I felt guilty that my awful way of hiding my feelings, made Carl think it was something he did, well technically it was something he did but that doesn't matter. I decided to clear it up, "no, I'm not upset, just a little confused about things." Carl looked at me curiously as if he was waiting for me to explain, "things I'd like to keep to myself, for now anyways." Carl nods understanding that I don't want to talk about it, "well now that I know about your secret, can I help?" I turn around to face him a smile on my face, "that would be great."

Carl helps me clean and organise the shelves. "All of this is top shelf stuff, inappropriate for kids." Carl chuckles at me as I try to reach the top shelf, I get on my tippy toes but I'm still too short. "You try to reach it, you, you tree!" Carl shakes his head still laughing at my sad excuse of an insult, but he didn't have much luck either. "Get on my shoulders." Carl instructed and I look at him stunned shaking my head, "nope." I popped the 'p', "why not? Do you not trust me?" Carl's question had a certain seriousness to his jeering voice, "I do. Okay, but please make slow movements." Carl promised.

I put the box of books on the table whilst Carl bent down, I swung my leg over his shoulders gripping the book shelf as Carl stood up. I wobbled a bit, Carl grabbed my hands and intertwined our fingers as we gained our balance, a blush on my cheeks and a shaky laugh slipped from my lips. "okay, I think we're good." I spoke up, Carl only let go of my right hand, he began passing me up books, and I slid them tidily on the shelf. Half way through I look down at Carl, "you okay? we can take a break if you want." Carl shook his head no, "I'm good," I smile as he slides another book into my hand, "you know, you're quite comfy." I admit to Carl as we continue working, "thank you." Carl blushes.

"Okay, now, how do I get down?" I question Carl who went to bend down to the floor until I started to fall backwards, "no sto- oof." My back slapped off the floor dragging Carl down with me. We bursted into laughter, Carl rolled off me, laying on the ground next me as we continued to laugh. Once our laughter died down, I look over at Carl that was looking back a me, a smile printed on our lips. For a split second I forgot how fucked up the world is, I forgot that I could die any second, or that I could lose someone I love. For that split second all that existed was joy and want, want for Carl.