TWENTY-FIVE: Carl's 15

(27th June, 2011)

|-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/CARL'S POV-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-|

I woke up today to my dad shaking me, "wake up, you're supposed to let Nyx off watch." I yawned slapping his hands away from as I sat up. "Also, Happy birthday, Carl." Dad slide a bag towards me, I opened the bag to see a bunch of comics, I scan through them to see the entire invincible comic book series. I started to laugh in disbelief before pulling my dad into a hug thanking him, "I'm glad you like them, I've been asking Nyx to collect them for weeks." Dad admits, making me nod and inform him that they are perfect. "Now, get to the watch tower, Nyx looks exhausted." Dad reminded me, I grabbed some clothes before shoving my dad out of my cell. I get dressed, noticing a gift bag sitting the floor near my pillow, I picked it up saw a little note taped to the top...

Happy 15th Birthday Carl!!!!
Your Dad stole my gift idea, so I had to come up with something else. So, look I know the world isn't exactly beautiful anymore, but I thought you'd like to capture this small part in time. I also decided to get you a few useful when it comes to survival. And you probably think it's silly to celebrate birthdays when our lives are constantly being threatened but I think that's exactly why we should be celebrating. You've made it this far! You're survived almost three years in the apocalypse, you've made it half way to 30? Alright you get it, seriously hope you enjoy your birthday and I'm taking your watch, so sit down, relax and have fun on your big day...
Love from,
Nyx x

P.S show this to your dad to prove that you don't have watch!

I reread the letter Nyx left for me, a smile tugged on my lips as I see the word 'love'. I open the bag to see a polaroid camera, loads of film, a lifesaver water bottle (which filters water), a gps watch (shows your coordinates), a fire starter kit, and a set of Gerber knives. I decided to bring my new gifts to show my dad during breakfast. I pass him the letter Nyx wrote, he reads it as Carol hands me over my breakfast and I thank her, a smile played on his lips as he read it.

"So, you're off the hook, what did she get you?" I pass the gift over to my dad, he looked through everything, "she definitely put a lot of thought into these gifts, are you sure she doesn't like you the way you like her?" Dad questions and I groan rolling my eyes, reminding dad that Nyx doesn't like me, just as Maggie walks past. Maggie and Dad share a knowingly look, "what?" I ask Maggie, who pretended to lock her lips with an invisible key. "Why not just tell her that you like her? The worse she can do is say she doesn't like you that way." I scoff as I continue eating my breakfast, "you're not allowing me to relax dad..." Dad just laughed shaking his head at me, but ultimately the subject was dropped.

It was dinner time until Nyx arrived inside, she had went for a hunt after her watch, and brought back four people. "And this is Cell Block C, most of our council members live here." Nyx informs them as they look around the block in awe, Nyx spots me and sends me a small wave, I smile back at her before seeing a guy, not that much older than us, asking her a question.

"Just give me one second!" Nyx chimes rushing in my direction, "could you gather the council for me pleaseeee?" She drags out the e and pouts her lip that made her look cuter than usual, and her eyes sparkled resembling a begging puppy. "Yeah, I'll get them to meet you over at the garden area." Nyx smiles brightly, gives me a quick hug wishing me a happy birthday before rushing back to the group she found. She lead them outside as I began to round up council members.

|-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/NYX'S POV-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-|

I lead Patrick, Zach, Chloe and David towards the garden area, informing them that the council will be coming to meet us here, just to tell them the rules and what block they'll be sleeping in. "Miss Martin, how exactly do the sleeping quarters work?" Patrick questions, he speaks like he centuries old, he's actually just 16. "Everyone is paired up, two people in a cell. This is to maximise space, since we're hoping to continue to bring people in." He nods excepting my answer, "how many people do you have here?" Chloe questions me looking around, "including you four, 47." I smile at them.

"We've brought in 11 people in the last three weeks, but we've also lost some, four over 60s and one 12 year old." I inform them of the whole truth just so they know what they're getting into. I spot the council approaching us, I clear my throat smiling at my newcomers as the council stood beside me. "Everyone this is Zach, Chloe, David and Patrick. Over 500 walker kills between them, 2 people kills, both of which were bitten." I inform the council, who nod as they looked at the newbies. They went down the line introducing themselves to the new comers, I pulled out our living arrangements, the whole council began to whisper to each other deciding to put Chloe and David in Cell Block B, whilst putting Zach and Patrick in D. I asked Glenn to send Beth out after the council left.

"Tomorrow you'll be given your jobs, and you'll get to mingle more with our residents." Beth comes jogging out to me, with a big southern smile on her face. She introduced herself, informing them that they've met her father, Hershel, "Beth here will be Zach and Patrick's guide, anything you need ask Beth." Beth shakes Patrick and Zach's hand again. "I'll be Chloe and David's guide, same thing goes." They nod before I clap my hands, "let's show you to your new homes." Beth took off with Zach and Patrick on her trail towards cell block D, whilst I bring Chloe and David to B.

I let out a loud whistle which brought everyone out of their cell and into my view. "Group B, meet Chloe and David, they're your new neighbours." I stepped back and let everyone say their hellos and introduce themselves. Whilst they were distracted I wiped 'The Butlers' off the top of the dead couple's old cell and wrote up, 'David & Chloe'. "Okay, leave them alone now, they need to adjust." I told the group who were basically interrogating the young couple. "Make yourselves comfortable, I'll come get you at Lunch time. Sleep, or chill out or join up with group B and explore, I'll be here for 2:30."

At 2:30 I arrived at cell block to see Tyreese killing Mrs McLeod, "what happened?" I questioned quickly as I search people for scratches and bite marks, "she went to lie down and then next time we saw her she tried to eat me!" Jeanette exclaims, "Ty, could you go get me Noel, Rick, Daryl and Glenn? They're in the eating area." Tyreese nods and runs out of the room, I stick my knife into the side of Mrs McLeod's head to make sure she's dead. "Karen, strip her sheets please and bring them to me. The rest of you will follow Noel to the rest of the group." I inform them as the men and Noel come in.

I noticed something strange on Mrs McLeod's side, I lifted her shirt to reveal a bite mark, "she told me that Butlers didn't get her." Jeanette informs me as she notices the bite mark, I look down at Mrs McLeod had blood on her lips and flesh on her teeth. "She's bitten someone." I whisper, "Noel stop." Noel freezes as well as group B. "Someone has been bitten, there's flesh and blood on Mrs McLeod's mouth." I whisper to Daryl, Glenn, Noel and Rick. Daryl squats down and confirms that I was right, we look at the group and my eyes meet Sydney back, I scan her body seeing some blood at her shoulder. "Sydney." I whisper, sighing as I watched the animatedly brunette comfort Jeanette.

"Noel lead them out, Sydney can we speak with you for a second?" Rick questioned politely, and once Noel and the others were gone, Sydney nervously approached us. "Sydney, is it ok with you if Nyx inspects your shoulder?" Glenn questions her, her face falls as she realises why we need to speak with her, she slowly nodded and I made my way behind her.

I see a bloody plaster placed on her shoulder, I peel it off and I felt a punch to the gut. There it was a massive bite in her shoulder, I sigh sadly as I shook my head to inform the others that the bite was too deep. Sydney had tears flowing from her eyes, "I'm so sorry I tried to hide it, I wanted to live the next couple days before doing it myself." "You can, we'll only do it before you're on your last moments." Glenn informs the brunette thanked us.