The Arrival

As the Porsche rounded the curb and entered the parking lot of Pusula Holdings, the largest construction firm in Turkey, a sudden succession shrill rings of a mobile phone cut through the silence of the car.

The owner who was keenly reading the newspaper whilst sitting at the back, folded the newspaper in half and picked up the phone that was lying by his side.

Peering at the unknown number, he contemplated for a second as to who it could be, just enough for the caller to end the call.

Shrugging his shoulders, he held the phone in his hand and prepared to step out of his car almost forgetting about the unknown call when it started to ring again.

He answered the call while stepping out of the car.

"Ferit! Finally!", a deep yet gruff voice exclaimed.

"What took you this long to answer one phone call?", the voice questioned.

"Can Abi! You changed your number again. I did not recognise it. By the way, I am good. Thank you for asking how I am doing", Ferit replied laughing at his elder brother's annoyance.

"Where are you now Abi? Last time you spoke to us, you were leaving to Sri Lanka. Are you still there? When are you coming back?", Ferit rambled on.

"Stop! Stop! Stop!" Can shouted while shaking his head, "Give me some time to answer your first question before asking your next question. Allah! Allah!", Can continued while shifting from one foot to the other.

Ferit understood his elder brother was feeling overwhelmed by the sudden gush of questions and imagined him pulling on his man-bun in frustration.

"Okay, Okay! I will not ask you any questions," he chuckled.

Rolling his eyes, Can replied, "I landed at Istanbul twenty minutes ago and am calling you from the airport."

Ferit, who was walking towards his office, stopped midway in his stride, while taking a few seconds to comprehend what his brother has just said over the phone.

That few seconds were enough for Can to understand it was the silence before the storm as he knew Ferit will become triggered once again due to his unannounced arrival.

Can almost left out a loud laugh as the image of his brother walking up and down the carpark pathway, wearing a navy blue office suit and tousling his nicely kempt hair furiously thinking about his next course of action popped into his mind.

He did not even finish imagining how his brother's expression must have changed from shock to frustration when Ferit's verbal onslaught began.

"Abi! Not again...my schedule is very packed for today. I have a client meeting in the morning with the Russian partners. A lunch appointment with the designing department. Site inspection in the afternoon. Abi! Why don't you ever plan or inform earlier before coming?" Ferit's frustrated voice filled Can's ears.

"I know I should have called Iqbal Hanim and booked an appointment before flying down but what to do, I was free for a week and since it has been a year since I saw my mum and brothers, so I just flew down. Is that a crime?" Can replied with an innocent tone.

"Anyway, you finish your meetings and work, we will have dinner together. You do not have to disrupt your schedule because of me. I will take a taxi and go to surprise the little one now. You carry on with your work. I just called to inform you that I have landed in Istanbul" he said, as he bend down to pick up his carry-on luggage.

"No Abi. You wait for me at the airport. I will come and pick you up and then we both will go and see Ozgur. No work is more important than my brothers. Ok?" Ferit said overpowering Can's statement.