diecisiete.

"Ay, mi amor, you came." Abuela Maria said, smiling softly at her granddaughter. Tomei was sitting in the chair beside her, one of Maria's hands in both of hers. "Help me sit up, Toma," Abuela said, using the nickname that only Maria used for her.

Tomei picked up the remote and adjusted the bed. She then dropped a kiss on Maria's forehead and left to give the two some privacy. On her way out, their eyes met and Tomei tried to give a smile of encouragement. It came out strained and pained and crumpled.

"Why now? Why? I'm not getting better."

"You have become leader." Abuela said. "I sleep but I still see." She gingerly raised a hand to her granddaughter's face, "I see how you handle the kanima attack. How you protect him."

At the mention of Stiles, she moved her grandmother's hand and shook her head. "He's not..." She stopped and took a breath. "I know what it means, the name on my arm. It's not him. I wish it was, ma, but it's not. I haven't found him yet and you can't go until I have. I can't become... it until I find them."

"Trust is a beautiful thing." Her grandmother randomly said. "Treasure it."

"No, no, no, NO!" Violeta said, standing up and getting properly angry. "Don't do that. Don't start imparting that ambiguous bullshit on me!"

"Violeta."

"No! You promised you wouldn't leave until I felt ready, until I felt safe, until I was anchored enough that I would be okay." She spat. "Anchored. That's your word. Anclado." She said the Spanish word for it. "You said that. Well now you want to leave and I'm not — I don't feel — anclado! I'm a mess and I don't know what I'm doing. I-I-I don't know anything!"

"No one know everything."

"Oh for f—" Violeta kicked one of the chairs and sent it spinning and hitting the wall. Abuela waved a hand and the chair turned into an array of butterflies that fluttered out the window. All but one. One came fluttered its way to Violeta and landed on her shoulder. It was a light purple one, a violet one.

Violeta felt her anger wash away at the little innocent creature perched itself on her. She picked up her fingers and the butterfly not rested alongside her forefinger. She watched it's wings flutter and she looked at her grandma. "See, I wouldn't know how to do that."

"Simple shape shift spell." Her grandmother fairly dismissed. "Even witches know how to do."

"Why do you have to die?" Violeta finally asked the question. "Why do you have to go? I know you're in perfect health. I know that it's not physical but because grandpa passed away that..." She couldn't finish, shaking her head and trying to keep her tears at bay but they welled up.

The butterfly hopped onto her grandma's raised hand. As she looked it over, she spoke with a fond smile, "I want this." Her grandma said. "I am happy the Earth think my time is finished and the Angels took your grandfather so I soon follow."

"Are you tired?"

"No, I am lonely."

Violeta frowned and felt upset. She had visited her grandmother every single day and lost so much sleep so she could make the most of the time she had left. This included making time for the many families that wanted to have one last meeting with Abuela Maria before she passed. So many people wanted to see her that her room was only empty upon her request.

So yes, Violeta was upset.

"Your grandfather loved to watch telenovelas." Abuela spoke. "I believe they stupid for love do not work that way. The girl stupid because life is not boy, life is your life and not about stupid boy."