Epilogue: Acceptance

It was just like what happened to me... The bright flash... The nuke that went off...

"Shinano... I'm dead... Aren't I?"

"I wanted you to find out for yourself... You are..."

All of the hard work that I put in, all the love I showed for the girls... It was all gone in one fell swoop...

"What happened that killed us all?"

"Do you remember that bomb that the Eagle Union was trying so hard to keep a secret?"

The bomb... That strange bomb...

"They unleashed it didn't they?"

"It was a tsunami bomb... An extremely powerful one..."

"How powerful was it?

"Like no other... The Eagle Union... The Ironbloods... The Royal Navy... Our Sakura Empire... Nobody survived the blast..."

"And what of our land?"

"Swallowed whole by the very sea we cherished..."

So this was what Shinano saw... What she saw before we did...

"Why couldn't you do anything? Was this predestined?"

"No matter what anyone tries to do, it's impossible to change fate... But at the very least you have me..."

"If I'm dead... How am I...?"

"I absorbed your essence... You and I are basically one now."

"I see."

So that was it... Shinano had no way of changing our destiny... That bomb would have gone off and still would have killed everyone...

"I'm sorry that I've failed you..."

"No... Don't be sorry... You did what you could... Even if we lost in the end... At the very least we have each other, at least until judgement day comes..."

"I always enjoyed a little company while I sleep and dream... And now that you and I are one, we can share those dreams... We can create our own little world for ourselves..."

"Then... Let's."

As I drift off into what seems like an endless slumber I hug Shinano tight as she does the same...

The End