Scavenger hunt

It was crowded in the van. At least that was what it felt like when Peter sat there with someone with the energy of a squirrel and not without a hint of claustrophobia. There were only chairs for two and while he had taken one Jones had the other as second in command. Neal had taken the liberty to sit on the table behind them while a fourth guy remained standing.

"It is really exciting in the van," the kid said to their backs. "It's..."

Peter listened to the sound in his headset from Diana, who walked into the eagle's nest posing as a prostitute. His thoughts wandered to when he and Jones had sat the same way waiting for Caffrey with four agents padded with body armor. It had probably been crowded and hot, but Peter had not taken note of it. He had been too excited. Now he was mostly worried.

"Can I just go in there and—" his pet convict got started again.

"You'll sit there, and you'll like it," Peter snapped back. "Now, pay attention!"

"You must be Lana," was heard through the headset. "Roger Barrow. A friend of mine suggested that you and I could do some business."

"What kind of business?" Diana asked.

"That's our guy," Peter told the others.

"What do we know about Barrow?" the kids said, now listening too.

"Arrested three times, all in Chicago. Aggravated assault, extortion. Last one was for attempted murder." Jones handed a file back to Neal.

"'Attempted.'" Neal took the file. "At least we know he's not very good at it."

"Well, his target was shot dead in a mugging two weeks later," Jones pointed out.

"Okay, maybe he is good at it."

Peter shared a grin with Jones.

"I want to know about your FBI friend," Barrow said. "What do you want?"

"Here we go," Peter mumbled.

"What do you think?" Diana replied.

"Money? Look around. My girls make 10k a night. The richest men in New York come here. You want to work for me, you'll make in a week what you normally make in a year."

"I'd like that."

"Here's the thing. I need to know that I can trust you. And I need to make sure that you know what you're doing. This is for the penthouse suite. Pick any guy at the bar. I want his ten grand in my hand by four a.m."

Peter felt his pulse rise. This was trouble.

"Ten thousand in cash," he heard Diana's smiling voice. Then there was a pause and they heard her heels click as she told them. "Guys? I was not prepared for an audition. I'm either walking out of here or taking some guy up to the penthouse."

"So, what's the plan?" Jones asked

Peter pulled his headset off and turned to Neal. Only to find his spot empty.

"Where'd Caffrey go?"

Neal was glad he had a good taste in suits and men's fashion and was let in without trouble. He walked up to the bar and saw Diana strolling, keeping an eye at the guys at the bar. She had not seen him, so he stepped right into her field of vision.

"Can I buy you a drink?"

Diana returned the smile. She kept up the appearance and did not for a second let anybody know that she knew him. He sat down by the bar and ordered drinks for both of them.