Chapter 9

Chapter 9  

Kay sat in her room as the sun delicately painted the sky with autumn colors, brushing her hair out for the twentieth time. She knew she should head down to dinner, but the butterflies flitting through her stomach had taken hold and left her with a sense of nervousness. There were no more false contenders for her hand. She was now presented with two quite capable men, each with an important set of skills, each pleasant to be with, intelligent, capable. On her choice rested the fate of not only herself, but of all of the inhabitants of the castle.

She drew the brush slowly through her hair, staring at her reflection in the mirror. She had put on her embroidered green dress, one of her nicer ones. It was still suitable for a maid assigned to a woman of Keren-happuch’s rank, but it brought out the highlights of her eyes. She wanted to start to shine in her own right.

But was that fair? Should she choose the man who reacted the most to her presence, at the detriment to the care of the keep as a whole? What if she chose a partner for her heart, and the keep then fell during one of the raids by the MacDougals?

She closed her eyes. She must do the best for all involved. She must make a decision based on the most qualified man, overall, and she must do that objectively. No matter what consequences it might bring for her own happiness.

She put her brush down on the table, then turned and moved into the main room. Em was already sound asleep in the other room, the excitement of the day taking its toll on her. Kay was careful not to make any sound as she slipped through the outer door. She nodded at the guard in the hallway, then made her way down the spiral staircase.

The main hall seemed quiet although the usual contingent of guards and other castle folk were at the various tables throughout the room. The head table was almost empty now. She noted with a smile that neither Galeron nor Reese had taken her father’s central seat. Both had chosen to sit in the lower ranking chairs, near the fireplace. Both men were staring at her with interest, and she flushed as she saw the admiration in their gaze, as they looked her up and down.

The men stood as she approached them. Reese’s eyes trailed down her form, then back up to meet hers again. “You are a vision,” he finally offered, his voice soft.

“Indeed,” smiled Galeron, glancing between Reese and Kay. “My dear, why not sit there on Reese’s side. It is closer to the fire, and will keep you warm. The fall crispness is in the air, I fear.”

Kay nodded shyly, moving to take the offered seat, and in a moment Anne and Jessica were moving amongst them, setting out circles of veal and a bounty of turnips and onions.

“A toast,” offered Galeron, picking up his mug in his hand. “To new beginnings.”

Kay clinked her mug against his, then turned toward Reese. Again she felt her breath catch at the look in his eyes, at the steadiness of his hand, at the sureness of his body at her side.

She wrenched her gaze away with an effort. She had to be objective. She had to do what was right. She looked down to the ever present tablet which sat alongside Galeron’s plate.

“So, what research do you have for us today?” she asked, striving to keep her voice light.

Galeron tapped the wood frame with a proud smile. “I think my tallies are nearly complete,” he reported. “Every security issue to fix, every item of wealth to keep safe, every guard and his state of health. Would you care to hear?”

Kay ripped a piece of warm bread from her loaf, spreading a square of the fresh herb butter onto it, keeping her mind in focus. “Yes, certainly.”

She ate slowly while Galeron went through the problems with the main gate, the weakness of the bar on the doors, the spiral stairs which were a challenge to deal with if an enemy got within. She knew she should feel encouraged that Galeron had been so thorough, but it made her depressed to hear Serenor’s beauty whittled down to broken windows and rusty hinges. Her beloved home had been sliced, diced, organized, and slotted into compartments. Her beautiful keep sounded more like an obsolete cottage, waiting to be torn down and rebuilt.

She looked up and saw the enthusiasm in Galeron’s eyes, and sighed. He truly was enjoying this task. She put on a smile and encouraged him to continue.

Even so, when they were done with dessert, she found herself rising, apologizing, and heading out to the curtain wall. She sat on the cool stone floor, her back to the outer wall, looking in toward the keep proper. The windows shone like jewels in the night, the people within seemed content, warm, happy. It was more than a collection of stones and hinges and bolts. It was her home, her beloved home.

There was a movement, and Reese was sitting beside her, giving her a gentle nudge. “Do not let him get to you,” he offered quietly. “He means to help in his own way.”

“All he can see is the flaws,” countered Kay in frustration. “He seeks out the problems, counts them with joy. Can he not see the beauty?”

She turned toward Reese, and found he was staring at her with steady regard. She flushed, returning her gaze to the keep. “It is all I want,” she added, staring along its sturdy lines, looking up to the top floor where her sister slumbered peacefully. “Just this, nothing more.”

“And the hillside chapel too, I imagine,” added Reese with a chuckle, “where you go to sequester yourself every morning.”

Kay smiled. “Yes, I imagine so,” she agreed. “It is a special sanctuary for me.”

Reese was quiet for a moment. “I would like to ride out there with you, to see what it is that captivates you up there,” he commented in a low voice.

Kay’s heart caught. Reese had laughed, with the others, when they had talked of female swordfighters, all those days ago when the party was first riding to the keep. How would he feel when he saw how she spent her mornings?

Her heart raced. She was not ready for that yet, not ready to risk losing him.

“You can ride with me part way,” she finally agreed. “The views in the morning are quite spectacular and I would enjoy sharing them with you. But for now, my sanctuary hour must remain mine alone.”

“As you wish,” responded Reese quietly.

She soaked in the warmth of his body next to hers, and almost of its own accord, her hand slid along the cool stone until her fingers were resting alongside his. Then, with the slightest of movements, she put just two fingers on top of his, the gentlest of connections. He went still beside her, not moving, not disturbing the moment. She resonated with the palpable power in their touch, in the contact which joined them. They sat that way for a half hour, maybe more, the cool night air drifting around them, the keep before them in its glowing beauty.

Finally Kay gave a yawn, and drew herself to her feet. Reese stood as well, staring down at her.

“Until morning,” he offered, his eyes holding hers.

Kay found herself not wanting to leave, not wanting to turn … but she forced herself to, to move down the narrow stairs, across the courtyard, up to her room. She tumbled into her empty bed, but she knew she faced a sleepless night where all that mattered was the sun coming up over that horizon again.