Chapter 20

Chapter 20  

Kay stood on the keep's front steps, her heart thundering in nervousness, soaking in the warmth of the brilliant afternoon sunshine. The keep's main doors, freshly hung and sturdy, stood open and glowed on either side of her. Her hand moved for the twentieth time to the beautifully carved golden heart which hung at her neck. Reese's only memento from his beloved mother was now entrusted to her care. She ran her fingers along its etchings, gazing across the sun-drenched courtyard. She took in the crowds of smiling faces, the bouquets of fragrant flowers, and the scattering of rose petals that Molly was releasing along the central path. Her eyes moved across to the drawbridge, freshly replaced, the chain links glittering in the sun.

Her heart sang at the beauty and the wonder of it all. The day was absolutely perfect. Her keep was breath-takingly glorious. And Reese ....

Her father moved with slow steps to come to her side. She snugged her hand on her father's arm, and he gave it a gentle pat in return, his eyes creasing in fondness. Then they set into measured motion, moving step-by-step down the polished steps, across the open courtyard through the throngs. Kay's eyes found the smiling encouragement of Jevan, his arms wrapped around each of his sons at his side. Anne and Jessica were decked out in their finest dresses, their faces beaming with delight. Leland and Eli had polished their leather and shined their swords until they gleamed. Eric had his arm nestled closely around Em's waist, and Kay could only hope that she could find the happiness that glowed from their faces.

Her eyes came to the worn wooden doors, to the entryway of the quiet chapel she loved and adored. There stood Reese, his tawny mane glowing in the autumn light, his green-grey eyes holding hers with love, pride, and deep respect. He reached his hand out to her, and Kay's father gently placed her hand in Reese's, giving her a soft kiss on the cheek before stepping back to take his place in the front of the gathered crowd.

Kay found she could not draw her eyes away from Reese's. Her fingers twined into his, so warm and alive, and she drew them to her chest, to the heart that lay there, to the center of her being.

He smiled tenderly at that. "I think you should see something," he offered in a hoarse voice. His fingers gave a gentle twist. She looking down and saw that the heart had opened into a locket. Within was inscribed a delicate sword.

"When my brother and I were very young," explained Reese, "my mother was returning from a faire with us, and we were attacked by a pair of bandits. My mother was well versed in self-defense, and she held them off with her sword until help could come. My father gave her this necklace to commemorate her bravery and skill. She wore it until she died."

Kay's breath caught. "But when the others would talk about female swordswomen ..."

The corner of Reese's mouth quirked. "I was amused by their ignorance," he gently reassured her. "I was thinking how little they knew of the real world, of the value in a woman of strength and honor."

With infinite care he resealed the locket, settling it down against her chest and looking back up into her eyes.

Kay felt as if a golden light were streaming out from the core of her being, filling every last corner of her. He was everything she could want, was all she had ever dreamt of.

"I love you," she whispered, putting every last drop of her soul and being into those simple words. She released all she had into his tender care.

The edge of his finger gently traced against the golden heart which adorned her, and when he smiled, Kay felt as if her soul would explode from joy and fullness.

"I love you, adore you, and treasure you, now, and forever," he vowed, his voice ringing with the simple truth of it.

Together they turned toward the priest, their hands never parting, their souls forever joined.